35hp 1989 Force sucked up foam

jomac018

Recruit
The noise reduction foam from my cover rotted loose and was sucked into my carb. Ive cleaned the carb and checked the reed calves for any damage. All looks good. The boat will not run unless at full throttle in neutral. Also when I have the rabbit ears on it seems to backfire out the exhaust when I try running it. Can anyone help me with this? I don't have a manual so I don't want to get more into it without know what to look for

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

jomac018

Recruit
Re: 35hp 1989 Force sucked up foam

The choke plate looked good when I took things apart yesterday. The choke and throttle butterflys were opening and closing fine. I will stop and rent a compression tester after work today. Any idea on what a good compression is for the Force? Could the foam be mucking up the engine?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Good depends on the guage.Mine reads about 150# on my Forces,a cheaper guage will read 120 Maybe!!!
What your looking for is both cylinders to be the same or real close.J

jomac018

Recruit

Good depends on the guage.Mine reads about 150# on my Forces,a cheaper guage will read 120 Maybe!!!
What your looking for is both cylinders to be the same or real close.J

75 psi where the higher spark plug goes 125 where the lower one goes. This sucks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Might be something minor.Maybe a bad head gasket.You can try to squirt some oil in the cylinder and see what happenens.Or do what I'd do.Remove the head and look for damage.
Head gaskets are fairly easy to get and not to expensive.
I believe they sell them here or iboats or any Mercury dealer.
Post some pics.Fill out the profile.J

jomac018

Recruit

Might be something minor.Maybe a bad head gasket.You can try to squirt some oil in the cylinder and see what happenens.Or do what I'd do.Remove the head and look for damage.
Head gaskets are fairly easy to get and not to expensive.
I believe they sell them here or iboats or any Mercury dealer.
Post some pics.Fill out the profile.J
I'll be getting more into it after I get my service manual in. I'm not real familiar with ourboards so I'd rather wait before going any further but I will be tearing the head off next. I will keep the thread updated on how things go. Thanks for the help!

jomac018

Recruit

I rechecked the compression and noticed something I didnt notice before. The spark plug for the cylinder with low compression has a bunch of corrosion on it. I just replaced the spark plugs last season before putting it away so the spark plug doesnt have many miles on it. I'm going to go with the head gasket idea because it seems like water is getting in there to corrode my spark plug.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Also pull the bypass covers--the trapezoid shaped pieces held by 4 bolts on the fuel pump side of the engine. If she sucked in a good chunk of foam, there is a possibility that some is still stuck there and blocking the bypass ports. However, this will NOT affect compression results.