What kind of Fuel filter for Mercruiser 120?

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Discovered I have no fuel filter on my 120 and I've had gas issues recently. Any recommendations I could grab at an auto parts store? Removed and dumped the tank (into a container for the mower). Now I have good gas but I want to be proactive instead of reactive...

Thanks!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What kind of Fuel filter for Mercruiser 120?

There's no filter at the carb inlet? I would consider adding a fuel water seperator... marine (of course) This is nothing that you can buy at a auto parts house.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Those motors have a filter inside the fuelpump, 'n another inside the carb inlet fitting...

The Best you can do is add a cannister type filter, inline, before the fuelpump...

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's no filter at the carb inlet? I would consider adding a fuel water seperator... marine (of course) This is nothing that you can buy at a auto parts house.

Never thought to look there or on the engine at all... I used to have nothing but outboards; was looking for an inline somewhere between the tank and the pump. Anyone have a picture?

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... Those motors have a filter inside the fuelpump, 'n another inside the carb inlet fitting...

The Best you can do is add a cannister type filter, inline, before the fuelpump...

I feel kinda silly now. Can't I just replace those filters and be happy or should I still get an inline?

Bondo

Staff member

I feel kinda silly now. Can't I just replace those filters and be happy or should I still get an inline?

Ayuh,... Those filters stop the Crud, but the cannister spin-on type, stop the Water...

robert graham

Admiral

Ayuh,... Those filters stop the Crud, but the cannister spin-on type, stop the Water...

Walmart has the fuel/water separator type canister filters for $27, easy 2 screw installation, save you a lot of fuel related problems!...get one!

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I'm grabbing one of those this week. And I'll get a new filter for the pump and clean the carb "strainer" as well. Hopefully it will cure some hole shot bogging ive had other posts for...