4.3l gas issue

eastont

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Carver with twin 4.3 Mercruisers and my port engine uses more gas than the starboard one.
Last year I switched carbs and that made them a little closer, but I don't now if it meant that the starboard was using more than it was previous. I also had a valve job done on the port engine and that mad no difference.

So based on this bit of information, does anybody have an idea as to where else to look. I am handcuffed to the marina because of a contract clause in my docking agreement.
And I don't think the mechanic at the marina is incompetent, just seems to be scratching his head.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3l gas issue

Ayuh,... A Compression test is a pretty good indicator of the motors general overall health...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How do you know one engine is using more fuel than the other? Are you using fuel flow meters? Have you thought to swap the transmitters?

eastont

Chief Petty Officer

How do you know one engine is using more fuel than the other? Are you using fuel flow meters? Have you thought to swap the transmitters?

I have separate gas tanks for each engine. No I don't have flow meters. And according to the mechanic's test before the valve job, all cylinders had good compression but for the one that had a bad intake valve.