4 stroke 20 hp mercury not performing

phillipians 2:8

Recruit
I have a 2010 pro team 170 tracker with a 20 hp mercury. prop that was on it was a 9.25x10, i put an 11.5 on it to get more speed, but i definitely have sacrificed hole shot. takes forever to plane and finally when it does only goes about 10 to 12 mph. other guys with same set up are doing 22 to 25. ihave power tilt if i set trim high and mess with as im moving i can get about 5200-5400 wot thats it. wot according to book is 5400 to 6000. any help would be greatly appreciated.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 stroke 20 hp mercury not performing

The factory spent a lot of $$$ to set the boat and motor to run the best at what it had when it was new.Newer motors have a little sticker above the prop with the right size needed.
Put the old prop back on.Then if you still have performance problems,it's not the prop.
Then do a comp and spark test.Jerry

phillipians 2:8

Recruit

The factory spent a lot of $$$ to set the boat and motor to run the best at what it had when it was new.Newer motors have a little sticker above the prop with the right size needed.
Put the old prop back on.Then if you still have performance problems,it's not the prop.
Then do a comp and spark test.Jerry

thanks jerry. i will put old prop on and try again.

M

Maxz695

interestin I have a 12 pitch on a 17 foot bass boat and wanted to jack it to a 17 pitch to get more speed I can only get 5000 top end out of it figure not bad for a 40 HP and a long boat. Kinda glad i never made the swap at this point lol