New Toy!!!

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got a new, to me, toy today. 1979 CJ5, 350, 3 speed. It's the 3rd jeep I've owned. I had to sell the last one, a 2004 Rubicon, when gas prices jumped a few years ago. It was my daily driver and I couldn't justify filling it up with gas twice a week. This one will be for sunny days when I can't take the boat out!!!

Jeep4.jpg
Jeep3.jpg
Jeep2.jpg
Jeep1.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Toy!!!

Jealous. I'd love to someday get a CJ that someone else already did all the work on :D My friend did up a CJ-7 Golden Hawk when we were in high school and man did he do it right. Fiberglass body, alloy wheels, V8 crate motor, nerf bars and rube bumpers, the whole she-bang. I hope he still has it.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Very nice CJ! A buddy of mine has been looking for months to find the 'right' one LOL. He's had 4 or 5 over the years, all were daily drivers also, now he's looking for a weekend toy too.

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats on a nice CJ .. they are a blast!

One of the most fun vehicles I owned was a Jeep Scrambler with a Pontiac Iron Duke under the hood. Not fast (who wants to go fast in one of those unstable vehicles), but lots of power. I beat that thing near to death and when the floor boards were so rusted I was tired of looking at the road as I drove, I sold her for $2,500 - drove her for about 8 years and made a grand profit! Would love to break down and get another one, but would have to sell another toy to do it ... no room in the garage!

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Now it's time to see where it will go before it's stuck on the axles..

With V8 power and those Super Swamper Boggers on there it should get there no problem...

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Nice.A friend had one w a 360/3speed.A 4wd hotrod w headers/intake etc and a 4" lift.Chick magnet!and too much fun on and off road.He liked to make it pop a one wheel wheelie turning left from a stopsign or light.I remember getting it stuck(BFG all terrains)and three of us picked up a back corner enough for the 4th to jam a log underneath the tire,and we were off again.We were young and enjoyed going mudding topless and driveing around town w the jeep and passengers absolutely covered in mud:Dbe carefull w the boggers,they will sling large chuncks of earth and rocks when you spin them up!!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

mt.jpgvery nice. funny I got my jeep for gas mileage. LOL it's better then my truck anyways.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone. I'm really excited about it. Can't wait for it to warm up.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Let's go mudding!!!!

Jeep Man

Commander

Wish I could get time to finish mine. '79 CJ-7 with glass body and 33s. Picked up a donor with a T-5 tranny and a Dana 300 transfer. Pulling out the Quadratrac. Switching to 44 axles and 4/11 gears.

archcityBob

Seaman

That's nice. My wife wanted to buy a new jeep. I vetoed that idea on the basis that they are not jeeps anymore, but Chryslers. But you have a true blooded jeep. Sweet.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

There are a whole lot of late models/Unlimiteds around here,and alot are all decked out w lifts,big tires etc.I like the tech.articulation of the coilovers and the ride but I hit my head on the factory rollbars and feel cramped in the drivers seat.And they are expensive also!Id prefer an old one, simpler and I could probably fix alot of things myself.And I wouldnot be afraid to get it all dirty and/or accidently banged up on the trail!And then theres the V8 factor!!:cool:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

OMG what were you thinking? you have a BOAT Break Out Another Thousand and now you have added a JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket, how much money do you have?
file003.jpg

P.S. don't do this!!
Wish I had more money, I would still have a CJ too!!

Nice ride Congrats!!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

That's nice. My wife wanted to buy a new jeep. I vetoed that idea on the basis that they are not jeeps anymore, but Chryslers. But you have a true blooded jeep. Sweet.

yes you are right they're chryslers now but...........have you ridden in one. I can go 75 down a freeway and let go of the wheel, longer, wider, smoother, tighter top, well used engine, still straight axle, and working on it is a breeze. I still love my old Jeeps but for daily driving I wouldn't trade.

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Mine might have been made by a Chrysler owned company, but it's still AMC under the hood. She's still got a carb'ed 258.

Attachments

• weber.JPG
    weber.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0735.jpg
    IMG_0735.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice! Boggers aren't much of a street tire but get them in the sticky stuff and watch out! Is it a glass tub?

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeeper here too!:

Previous 84 CJ7.
cjfront.jpg

Current 97 Cherokee.
124_0404.jpg

I tow the Cherokee behind motorhome.
124_0468.jpg

124_0473.jpg