225 Opti

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
My buddy has a 2005 225 Opti and every time he hits the trim or jackplate the motor stalls momentarily. He's changed the battery cables with larger ones and replaced the battery. All electrical connections on the motor have been cleaned. Any ideas or suggestions? It didn't always do this, just started about 4 months ago. The DTS control module went out about the same time and he thought when the modle was replaced it would be OK but it isn't. He also changed the junction box, weather heads and key switch.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 225 Opti

If it was only doing it with the trim I would check the grounds on midsection, but since the jackplate is on a different set of power cables it not a resistance problem. I am going to lean toward the alternator output is low, same problem happens on the 90? looper johnrudes which I am sure your aware of...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yep, we thought of that too and he said the output was good. I'll double check with him though, thanks.

What is the battery condition? Mercury rigging manuals call for the motor have it's own isolated battery. These engines require a lot of battery voltage to operate. I know it is tough for fisherman that have a lot of batteries for trolling motors and accessories but in my experience it has been Mercury does not compensate for rigging errors.