fuel tank vent

capnpete

Recruit
I've got a smoker craft 160 stinger with a fixed fuel tank under the floor which is vented through the hull. Last season the vent started to spew fuel on to the driveway and also when i opened the filler cap the fuel gushed out there too.So i ran some air through the vent as well as pumped some fuel through the vent and that seemed to fix it till today.The boat is still covered in storage on the lawn and i noticed the gas smell again and sure enough it was pouring out the vent again> Is there a check ball or something that may be stuck? any thing else i could try?

DanoNJ

Recruit
Re: fuel tank vent

could just be expansion. Is the tank very full?

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats! (x2):cool:

A very full tank plus warm temperatures could be the culprit, as Dano suggested. Any possibility that water is getting into the tank through the filler cap, pushing gas out the top?

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is your boat sitting level? Gasoline covering the fuel vent outlet could be squirted with the expansion of the fumes as temps warm up. Simple solution is to get some gas out... looks like mother nature is doing it for you...

capnpete

Recruit

thanks for the tips. My temporary fix is to just pop the gas cap daily to "burp" the tank until i find a shop manual to figure out where the check valve is in the vent to replace it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Most fuel tanks do not have any kind of check valve in the vent line. I recommend you fill the tank, and immediately use the boat. Now park it with less than a full tank, and you will not have any issues. Fill up just before you go out.

Alternatively, don't fill it to the top.