Hydor electric shift

FredMc

Cadet
First time here so be gentle. I have a 1964 40hp model # RDS72 Johnson outboard with hydo electric shift. My problem is the wires from the controls have been cut and I dont know where any of them go.The motor runs like a top( hot wired around to start it). I dont know if there are any problems with the unit. But I did find a crack in the lower unit and when I drained it water ran out mixed with the oil. Do you guys think it is shot and needs replaced or can I fix it. Have not opened up lower unit yet but mostlikely will need to to clean it up.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydor electric shift

That 1964 40hp electric shift model is not a "Hydro Electric Shift" model..... it is a straight out "Electric Shift" model (no oil pump involved).

With gearcase empty of oil, apply 7 to 12 psi of air to either the fill or drain screw, then listen and watch for a oil/air leak. You may be lucky and simply need to replace the propshaft seal. You must use what is called "Premium Blend", also known as "Type C" gearlube in that gearcase, available only at your Evinrude/Johnson dealership.

The cut wires..... you want to know where they go to where, the controls and instruments..... or to the engine? What color are the wires?

FredMc

Cadet

The wires are cut about three feet from control box. They are red, white, brown, black, gray, blue, green, purple, blue with white stripe, purple with green stripe. There is a box back by the engine with the starter relay and hook ups for the engine (hot and ground) there is also a fuse block inside this box with nothing attached. I would really like to get this boat in the water asap so any help would be great. Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Fred.... I've tried to send you a Private Message twice ut it appears that iboats has something weird going on in that area...... can't get thru. Contact me at ReevesJ32