trailer needs a lift and bunk question

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1987 shorelander trailer that is really low. It is hard to tell in this picture since it is hooked to my truck heading up hill and the rear cross bar of the trailer is only about 3" of the ground sitting flat and would rreally like to just raise it a inch or 2. I think it would make it really nice since the launch ramp has a small parking lot and you have to go down in this field for extra space and it is always dragging. I have square axles and they are not straight they are drop axles. I really am limited on funds since I just ordered a new motor for it this morning. I am not sure if anybody else has any ideas I will try to get a picture under the boat if it ever stops raining.
I also have always been worried that the rollers don't add enough haul support and they are always marking the bottom of the boat I am not sure if I should think about switching and making it a bunk trailer instead.
DSC00427.sized.jpg

robert graham

Admiral
Re: trailer needs a lift and bunk question

That rear cross-bar is bowed down towards the ground, right? And you've only got about 3" ground clearance? Well, it's all in the design and not a whole lot you can do to raise it much, but every little bit would help. Larger diameter wheels and tires could buy you an inch or so, but you'd probably have to replace the fenders also, for clearance. Harbor Freight sells a great variety of roller and ball type casters that you could mount back there to help it when it drags. I've seen trailers like yours and it's an unfortunate design. Good Luck!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming the springs aren't shot...

Is it just that the toungue is too high? Maybe get a drawbar with some drop?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Those particular trailers are designed to tow in a level position, if you don't have enough drop in your drawbar then your going to drag, makes sure and get the correct drawbar to ensure the trailer is level. With the drop axles there is not a whole lot you can do to raise the body of the trailer that won't cause problems with stability and geometry.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

How about a 3" lift kit between the axles and the springs?

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Actually the rear brace is straight accross and is just that low. I am using a 6" drop on my truck to have the trailer level. I can't put a spacer between the axles and springs since my axle is ontop of the springs. No my springs are good I am really thinking I would like to try a 14 or 15" wheel instead of the 13's

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Well if you only have 13" wheels your first course of action would be to increase your tire size, that may very well solve your problem..but you might have to change out your fenders to accommodate a tire size change..

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

Actually the rear brace is straight accross and is just that low. I am using a 6" drop on my truck to have the trailer level. I can't put a spacer between the axles and springs since my axle is ontop of the springs. No my springs are good I am really thinking I would like to try a 14 or 15" wheel instead of the 13's

Springs on top of your axles??? ah that reminds me of my Jeepin days!!
good ol spring over conversion will get you three inches of height!!!! simple to do if your axles have spring perches welded to em!

in all seriousness, i dont know if thats a good idea on a trailer and i would check around with some of the trailer building companies. if they say its ok than it is really simple and will have very little costs associated.

we used to do it with cj and yj (mid 80's thru mid 90's) jeep wranglers all the time.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Yea jeeps SOA but since my axles are rectangle It would raise it about 6" which I don't need to go that far and really worry it would make it really unstable.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

What about taking off the springs and gettem them re arched?

jeepzj94

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a shorelander trailer pretty much identical to yours, and I have the same problem. I too have a 6" drop to get the trailer level, but that rear cross bar will still drag in certain situations. Especially coming in and out of my driveway with it. I was considering swapping the axles under the springs to get the clearance im looking for. If I do I'll report back with the results. In the meantime I'll follow this thread and see if any other solutions pop up.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Wait wait wait you said you have drop axles? do you mean at the end of the axle the spindle is above the axle?

SOA, rearched springs WOULD YOU GUYS GET WHEELING OUT OF YOUR HEADS:D

Should never listen to a Jeep guy

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

pick up some straight axles.... get longer shackles on the springs.... get an 8" drop ball mount... get taller tires.......

tie a few thousand helium balloons to the boat

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I was not going to do SOA. I looked at it last night and thought about maybe using longer shackles. But I think I am going to pull two wheels and measure wheel mount to wheel mount and see what I can pick up two axles for I like this Idea the best.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I agree, going to some axles with less drop (maybe none) would probably be the easiest fix.

Just bear in mind that anything that raises the trailer will make the boat sit higher so you'll have to back in further to launch and retreive...unless of course you also have room to drop the rollers/bunks.