Attempting a Gimbal Bearing and Bellow replacement job

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice
So after two expensive and unexpected auto repair bills back to back this month I've decided to attempt to replace my Gimbal Bearing and drive bellows myself. It's that or no boating this year which I just cannot allow. After reading through many post and the Adults Only section here I believe I can handle this job myself.
I was able to successfully pull the outdrive this weekend with no problems following the directions in the Adults Only section. I don't remember reading that the speedometer tube would need to be disconnected in the outdrive removal directions but may have over looked it. After unhooking that the drive slid right out.
My ujoints looked good, were covered in grease with no signs of rust and both moved freely. The Gimbal Bearing however will not turn, it has seized up completely. The Bellows do not have any tears in them but all look dry and had water in them.
So now to order the hinge pin tool, alignment bar and transom seal kit before I can do much more.

My first question along the way is the buildup of metal flakes on my outdrive drain plug. Does this look normal or should I be concerned? The drive oil was replaced in August of 2009 when I had the impeller done so this collection of metal would be since that time. I will be draining and replacing this yearly as recommended going forward.

BTW, my out drive is a 1992 Alpha One Gen II

Thanks guys,

OutdriveDrainPlug.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Attempting a Gimbal Bearing and Bellow replacement job

The drain plug looks normal to me. Is the residue more of a fine, "mush" consistency?

Instead of the hinge pin tool, you can use a half inch allen wrench.

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, that?s exactly how I would describe it, a fine mushy metallic grease that just wiped away. There were no slivers or shavings of metal. I?d never drained an outdrive before so I wasn?t sure what I should expect to see.
I?d read that an allen wrench could be used in place of the hinge pin tool, but I?m nervous it would strip. Knowing my luck it would and then I?d be drilling them out.

Thanks for the quick response.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yeah - the choice is yours on the tool. I have the special tool myself - but I understand they can break pretty easily, and even the pros end up using the allen wrench - or even the shaft of a cold chisel.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Briefly apply heat to the hinges to loosen up any thread locker. I used a few different tools and they all stripped, only thing that worked for me was the actual hinge tool, and only AFTER I applied heat.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

before I can do much more.]

You could always yank the bearing out... Sometimes they can be a pain.. It will just add more work to the day your parts show up, if ya don't do it before...

mastercylinder63

Seaman Apprentice

The hinge pin tool is a little soft and can strip. What works for me carefully apply some mapp gas to the pin itself for a few minutes. Then use the tool. It work for me every time.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I believe the degree of difficulty of disassembley is directly and proportionately related to what type of use the boat has seen. My boat, used only in fresh water only 4-5 months a year, Minnesota, not slipped, but on a trailer when not in use, has very little corrosion etc on the drive [and everything else for that matter]. Everything comes apart quite easily. If it sits in a slip in saltwater 24/7. Its a WHOLE different job..

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help guys! Your suggestions and experience will help greatly once I start tearing this thing apart. The boat has been used only in fresh water and tailored since I?ve owned it for about two years now so corrosion appears to be minimal, hopefully everything will come apart fairly easily. I do plan to try and pull the gimbal before the transom seal kit comes in to save me some time once I have the parts to replace everything. I?m going to try the rear axle bearing puller method discussed in the Adults Only section, It looks like this may be the easiest way to pull it. I?ll let everyone know how it goes once I try it.

Another quick question. There are two O-rings on the shaft that goes through the gimbal into the coupler that need to be replaced. Are these two O-rings normally included in the transom seal kit package which includes all the bellows and gimbal bearing?

Thanks again Guys!

rickryder

Commander

I have seen kits on e-bay that include all the parts in one kit. The gimbal bearing can be removed with a slide hammer puller....I got a loaner tool from Advance Auto.

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Between work and my honey do?s this weekend I was able to steal a little time to continue the disassembly of the bell housing. I decided to try Fishermark?s suggestion on removing the hinge pins with a ?? allen wrench. I took a ?? allen wrench, cut about 2? off and used that in a ?? drive socket with a breaker bar. It worked perfect and the hinge pins came out with no problem. I don?t believe any tread locker was used on them previously.

I did however snap the two screws off the held the trim limit switch in place, any suggestions on removing these?

I am also unsure of the best way to handle the shift cable. I?ve unhooked it from the inside of the boat, should I pull it out through the transom from the outside or would it be better to leave it in place and disconnect it on the bell housing end?

AllenWrench.jpg

BreakerBar.jpg

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Unless you plan on replacing the shift cable, (which may not be a bad idea if it is very old), you can leave the cable in the bellhousing and pull the whole assembly out and off.

On the trim limit switch - do you use it?

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

unless you plan on not replacing your shift cable bellows, I would replace the shift cable, since you have to remove it entirely to replace the shift cable bellows.

FYI that LITTLE shift cable bellows, sinks the boat the fastest if it tears open, pretty much putting a quarter sized hole in the bank of your boat, fills it up fast like a garden hose...

Yea it is possible to remove the shift cable bellows without replacing the shift cable, but your pretty much 3/4 of the way through the job of replacing your shift cable so you might as well do it.

rickryder

Commander

Got a pic of the broken screws? Most likely it's gonna be center punch them and drill out...retap threads

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I did however snap the two screws off the held the trim limit switch in place, any suggestions on removing these?

Personally I would not bother. File flat any stub that sticks out, drill and tap new holes. Check the switch adjustment when you are done with the job.

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Super slow progress but I was able to get about another 2 hours to work on the boat this past Sunday. I must put a plug in for AutoZone?s loan-a-tool program. I was able to rent a 5lb slide hammer for an $80 deposit, pulled my Gimbal Bearing with little trouble, and then returned it for my full deposit back. Awesome!

There is a strange repair spot to the Gimbal Ring that houses the bearing next to the grease access hole. Looks like solder, not sure what to make of it but it doesn?t look like it should be a concern.

SlideHammer.jpg

RepairedSpot.jpg

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

Some progress on my gimbal bearing and bellows job. I received my transom repair kit this week and have begun putting everything back together. My Trim sender and limit switches were shot so I?ve also ordered and replaced those. Repainting the bell housing now before installing it and should get that back on later this week. I pray the bellows and water line installation to it goes as well.

A few questions I do have at this point are:

My water line that came with the kit is 14? long. I?ve read that this needs to be cut to 13? or it will kink, and I?ve also read that It does not need to be cut and to install it as is. What would you guys recommend?

When I was greasing my gimbal bearing I thought I may not have aligned the grease hole properly. As I began to grease it grease began to pump out from where it was seated in the gimbal housing. As I continued to grease it I did eventually get grease at the center bearing as I should. Is this normal to see as in the picture below?

I also made a crazy mess with the bellows adhesive on the drive bellow. Does this look like it would be a problem? It looks like I should have a good seal at least.

bellowsinstalled.jpg

greasegimbalbearing.jpg

bellowsadhesive.jpg

MEATBALL0309

Cadet

nice work i myself am in process of the repair as well with a 1992 3.0l mer.
did you gimbal bearing come out easily or did it take some elbow grease to get out.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

My water line that came with the kit is 14? long. I?ve read that this needs to be cut to 13? or it will kink, and I?ve also read that It does not need to be cut and to install it as is. What would you guys recommend?

i always cut about 3/4" off the hose, otherwise, yes it will kink

also, it is recommended that you attach it to the bellhousing first, then use some light heat and bellows adhesive on the end of the hose to guide it on the nipple in the gimbal housing as you install the bellhousing

When I was greasing my gimbal bearing I thought I may not have aligned the grease hole properly. As I began to grease it grease began to pump out from where it was seated in the gimbal housing. As I continued to grease it I did eventually get grease at the center bearing as I should. Is this normal to see as in the picture below?

normal

I also made a crazy mess with the bellows adhesive on the drive bellow. Does this look like it would be a problem? It looks like I should have a good seal at least.

gonna be a mess to clean up next time you do a bellows job

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

gonna be a mess to clean up next time you do a bellows job

Yep.. Pretty sticky stuff... Ya really got it caked on there good too.. Bet it don't leak at that spot..