115 bubble back head gasket HELP

Raffus

Cadet
I have a head gasket leak on the top of cylinder number one. water is leaking.. Ive replaced the head gasket two times now.. first time i did not use any sealant. second time i put marking die on the head used a granite flat table with a sheet of emry cloth to check to see if head was warped it is not... so now im not sure what to do any suggestions...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 bubble back head gasket HELP

Did you retorque the head after it went through one or two heat/cool cycles?

Raffus

Cadet

No I did not. I torqued in 5 # increments starting at ten final being 19 as suggested by my local marina. I will give it a try. Do you think if it doesn't seal I could put some kind of epoxy on the seam. Ever tried something like that it I guess just a thought.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been told to use a thin coat of the Johnson/Evinrude gasket sealant (comes in a can with a brush in the top) on both sides of the head gaskets. Take care not to clog the water passage holes in the gasket.

Should not have more than .004" gap for warp tolerance. Torque head bolts to 20 Foot/Pounds. Retorque after 10 hours when motor is cold.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Even though those head gaskets say "no sealer" it means: sealer is not required. It is not a problem to use sealer, per the OMC technical training dept in Waukegan. As Dargel says, be sure not to coat any water passages. I have used these w/o sealer many times, but have also used sealer on them before. They seem to work either way.

Last edited: