I want to know more about my Mark 35a

Jay R

Cadet
Just bought a 1959 cedar strip runabout & it has a Mark 35a iekhaefer Mercury on it. I know nothing about this motor but would like to learn & know everything I can about it. For example, its black but every other one I see pictures of on line are painted white?I was told its a 1959 engine? Any and all comments and info would be appreciated.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I want to know more about my Mark 35a

I had the exact same motor. I loved it, but got mixed reviews for others. The only thing that aggravated me was changing the impeller. You need a spanner wrench to get at it. Other than that I found it was easy to work on, and yes, it should be cloud white.

Attachments

• 1953.jpg
    1953.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Meyers Boat 002 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    Meyers Boat 002 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 0

Jay R

Cadet

Thanks for the post Wingedwheel. I'm glad you posted pics because I can see for sure that this is indeed the same motor except that mine has been pained black or maybe were they ever done originally in Black & in cloud white? The folks I bought the motor from have told me the impeller was changed at the end of last summer so should I wait another year until changing it?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

They switched to black in the 60's , if your 59 isn't white then it's been painted. My 63 6 hp was painted black by the PO to match the times, this wasn't uncommon practice with mercs back then.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I got mine, it had been partially painted black, and poorly at that. I sanded it all down and used primer and cloud white in a rattle can. The only problem I had was finding more than one can of the cloud white paint at a time. I got them at local auto supply stores, but its just not a color they carry in bulk so I had to hit several. I then took a pic of the lettering to a local graphics shop and they made the new decals for about $20. Some steel wool on the stainless cowl wrap and she was beautiful. She had the original two blade brass prop and I was lucky when I got her as she had electric start. The starter was bad, but my guys at the local Merc store got me one for around $100. I really enjoyed that motor...

Jay R

Cadet

Good to know that painting these motors back then was something people did but how can I end up being sure that the motor I now have is a 59 and has in fact been painted? Thanks for the Post bktheking.
Guess I better start shopping for cloud white paint cans eh Wingedwheel. Thanks for the pointers on how to go about getting my motor to look like yours did after you spruced it up. What happened to it? Why don't you have it anymore? Mine has an electric start on it as well and apparently the starter was just replaced in it at the end of last summer.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unfortunately I sold it to go bigger. I'm one of those guys that finishes a boat project, uses it for a year or two and then moves on to the next. I love working on the smaller motors and still do. That one was just one that I took farther than just getting it running right.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Jay - if you post the serial number from the plate on the clamp brackets, that will nail down for sure if yours is a '59. It should also have the model number on there, too. The A in your model number is the Anniversary, as 1959 was Mercury's 20th anniversary...

Jay R

Cadet

The boat & motor is an hour away from me so I can't just go out to look at it right this second but in the service invoices I have here with me the motor is described as SRO S-3384 Mercury Mark 35A (15221567)