motor is here but but no fuel will not start.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Jump to post 58

I am ordering a long block in the morning a 1985 mercruiser 350 I have been looking around and can order a 350 with the upgrade kit to 285 hp with a 2 year warranty shipped to my dad's work for 1570.00. From http://www.alengine.com/mareng.html
I have read where people have used rapido marine but I have tried to call them twice for info and can never talk to anyone, some lady says they will call me back and this has been going on for 3 weeks. I am ready to order one tomorrow but want to hear if anybody has ever used a&L engine and how it went and so on.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ordering motor in morning have you ever heard of

I havent dealt with a&l but have bought from Rapido. What I can tell you about Rapido is phone calls dont work because they are pretty busy and it seems like there is only 1 guy that handles the engine orders. Best way to order from them is through their website and they also offer an upgrade package and an entire gasket kit comes with the engine. The downside is the sheetmetal parts dont come with the engine. The upside is the price and the no fault warranty. They seem to really be driven to customer satisfaction. They also dont require a core return and it takes about three days from when you order it for it to be built and shipped to you.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Okay well I just ordered my motor I ended up with going with rapido marine. I would like to order a couple other things tonight. But have a few questions. I am thinking about just ordering a new engine coupler since I am not sure if mine is originall and how long they last. Figured put a new one in before putting the motor back in unless there is a way to check them. Also I need a timing chain cover, water pump, and fuel pump. I was going to get a plastic dorman timing cover from local parts store since they are only 22.00. I am going to order a new marrine fuel pump. Also I know my previous motor just had a car water pump since I am only using boat In fresh water do I need a marine one or can I use a auto one The car one has been on the boat for 6 years I have had it.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

6 years on a water pump... you might want to look at a new one regardless. Your choice, but I would change it since you are there. I think as long as you have a brass or stainless impeller you will be ok with automotive.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Yea I was going to buy a new water pump I will look and see if I can figure out if they are brass impellers or not.
I also am looking and trying to find a new fuel pump and everything I am finding says it fits newer ones like 80-85. But when I talked to rapido he asked me which side I needed the dipstick on to use my oil pan and he said that would be a 72-79 block then so I am confused on what year to look for parts for.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All automotive water pumps for sb chev have a stamped steel impeller and mild steel cover plate, works fine for fwc,you might want to go marine for raw water. Fuel pump fits from 55 to present as long as the block is machined for it.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Okay I am going to add a marine water pump on my list of things needed. I am also trying to still decide what to do about engine coupler how long do they last, and if the rubber and the splines still look good you are saying use it. The guy also had a hei distributer in the boat. I am trying to decide should I use it or maybe a old chevy small block points dist and take all the points stuff out and run the marine electronic ignition setup in it. Not sure which setup will be the most reliable and best to use I am thinking the converted points dist.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Stay with the HEI if it's marine approved. Get a marine water pump.
The coupler will last a very long time if you keep the alignment right.J

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I am not sure if it is a marine hei or not It was on the boat when I bought it I am not sure how to tell the difference.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

you will be happy with the Rapido engine. I just put mine in the end of winter. I went from a frozen cracked 305 to a roller 350. I got about 4 hours on the engine and I am still breaking it in.

They recommend you rebuild your carb, and he also recommended replacing the exhaust manifolds and exhaust elbows.

and while your there, you might as well install new cap / rotor, and wires unless they are really new. Change the fuel water seporator as well, if you have one installed.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Yea I already have new water seperator filter sitting on the shelf that was for spring fire up and I rebuilt the carb last year in august just not sure if I really need to sell the 1410 and buy a 1409. Rapido said since I am upgrading to the flat top pistons I should be at 285hp. I am still deciding which dist to run and will replace everything on which ever setup I run.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is it a coil in cap HEI? If so it is not marine aproved, The 87 to 95 chev truck tbi dist is identical to the Delco Voyager and is fully spark shielded.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Yes the coil is in the cap I didn't figure it was a marine dist. I will look for one of the 87-95 gm truck dist I am almost postive I have one of them dist out in the garage somewere that I have as a spare for my 87 gmc dump truck. But I also thought that was for vortec but will that still work on non vortec motors, them are a dime a dozen and way cheaper than a marine distributer. This is the distributer you are saying to use that is marine aproved correct. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RS03-DISTRIBUTOR-CHEVY-K1500-K2500-88-89-90-91-92-93-94-/140493054391?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b609e1b7

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well I looked out in the garage tonight after I put my first coat of bilgekote on and I guess I don't have one I found a old 70 points dist but not the newer one. So can I just buy like the one I posted on ebay or what is going to be the best to run here.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep thats the one , sold as the Delco voyager, all they do is put a sticker on it, otherwise identical. You will need the coil, coil to dist wire harness and a timing jumper, Volvo Penta dealers sell them or one can be made from the 4 prong plug harness. Several threads here on how to set the timing, I think est is the key word for search. Just about forgot, you also need the hot and tach wire plug to plug into the coil.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I have a couple more places to look around to see if I can find my distributer but otherwise while I was searching for delco est which I have not found the wiring info yet but I did find a pretty fair price on a kit from http://www.marine-ignition.com/imdist8v.htm anybody else used this kit with luck if I have to buy everything I am going this way cheaper than buying it all seperate if it is any good.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I am trying to figure out a new water pump and my old one that I figured was a car one turns out to be a marine one. But still want to buy a new one but the number on it says 3839175p. Everything I am finding says omc 4.3 on that number and it is half the price. If you look at sierra 18-7278 it says it fits v6 and v8 and is double the money. I am just not sure which one to actually buy.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Well I just got a 1409 carb ordered today so I just need to figure out what to do about the engine water pump, distributer, and timing chain cover and I will have it all here so I can work on my new motor that should be here tuesday and maybe get it in and running by next weekend.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow , cant beat the price on that dist. everything that you need. I would say go for it.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Also anybody that has bought a motor frrom rapido does it come with the oil filter mount that goes up in the block for the oil filter to thread on. I did a big block years ago that was ordered as a long block for a car and it did not have that piece just making sure I get everything. I am going to order some parts today or tomorrow so I hope I have the motor and can have it all back in the boat this weekend. When I pulled the motor I used a backhoe but will be using the engine hoist to put it back in just didn't have room last week in the garage. But I am not sure were all the parts go for the rear mounts. I have a bolt, spacer, fiber washer, and spring washer can you guys please make sure I have these right. First starting at the top is metal washer metal sleeve then under belhousing is the fiber washer and spring washer.