high idle merc tower of power 115 1983

p105k

Cadet
can not get engine to idle runs on the hose ears about 1800 rpm's tried lynch and synch set timing to 21 degrees, i know with no back pressure it will run higher but not this much, thinking it must be carb problem. I was told that these engines idle off the #1 carb but that doesn't make sense how would the other cylinders be lubricated also heard the float level could cause this, checked carb bowls all look clean don, t know what else to try any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: high idle merc tower of power 115 1983

First of all, who ever told you that these engines only run on one carb at an idle don't know what they are talking about. The inline 4's do, but not the inline 6's.

Second, there is an idle screw adjustment on the throttle arm on the port side of the engine. That is where you can slow it down.

Hope this helps. Craig

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Did you set the idle pickup to spec? On those ADI motors, I think the idle timing needs to be a few degrees ATDC, just when the carbs start to open. Isle speed is set down from there. You need to look up the exact spec to get it right. Max timing is usually 21* BTDC

p105k

Cadet

i tried adjusting idle screws on carbs, little difference. Idle screw for carbs linkage will not adjust enough to bring down idle, tried manualy moving trigger that does slow down engine somewhat but linkages are not designed to move it that far butterflys are completely closed i went through the entire process of lycnh and synch as per the manual don,t know what else to try

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Did you adjust the throttle cable to lower the idle speed? Idle speed on flusher s/b no more than 1000RPM.

BTW - if the engine is running over 1200RPM, the idle mixture screws have little effect on the motor.

p105k

Cadet

yes throttle linkage is all the way backed off rechecked timing 6 atdc idle, 21 btdc wot as per manual. going to check carbs again i don't know at a loss here

p105k

Cadet

found problem it was the idle stablisation module disconnected and disguarded it adjusted carbs idles now about 700 rpm,s runs like i stole it:D

petryshyn

Commander

HI
What is a "idle stablisation module"?

p105k

Cadet

solved problem turned out it was the idle stabilizing module took it off and disguarded it motor idles about 700-800 rpm,s now in water. Run,s good at idle and wot a little weak on the hole shot though, gets worse with more people in the boat. Tried bumping enricher on hole shot momentarily helped, so i tried holding enricher while doing hole shot momentarily picked up then started to die. Might just be to much prop have a 16' ranger fish and ski with a 19" prop going to try a 15" and see what happens or maybe the motor is just tired all cylinders are between 100-105lbs comp. any input would be appreciated.

p105k

Cadet

the idle stabillization module mounts on the inside front cover in front of the carbs on the tower of power inlines mine is an 83 115 have an inline 84 90 and that motor does not have one. According to the manual when u do the lynch and synch you have to disconnect the idle module to get an accurate timing of the motor. When i finished lynch and synch and also noticing that the other motor i had does not even have one i tried motor with module disconnected and motor ran great. As to your question of what it does or is supposed to do, stabilize the idle i guess.