lower unit shaft bearing size and seal kit info

dheaton883

Cadet
I recently bought a 1970 starcraft V150 Deluxe and 1970 chrysler 70hp outboard setup for a really good price. I found water in the lower unit oil so i decided to tear into it and replace the seals. the seal that is under the water pump is whare the water is gettin in. Upon further inspection the bearing on the shaft is shot. The bearing looks like the wrong size because the bearing is pushing the snap ring up just far enough that it wont slide off. I have found the same bearing at the auto shop and it is too lose on the shaft. Does anyone know the what the right bearing is? Within the seal kit there are some parts that i dont know what they are to: a 3/4" x 3/4" square of 1/16" thick paper like substance, a thick 1/2" outer diameter black washer, and two yellow rubberish washers 5/16" outer diameter. If anyone can help me you would be a life saver. As i took it apart I was looking for these parts but havent been able to find them.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit shaft bearing size and seal kit info

Neither the top bearing nor the bottom are press fit on the shaft. They should slide on snugly. The snap ring is retained in a groove in the shaft and locates the top bearing. When you reassemble the lower unit you must use a NEW deformed thread nut on the pinion and torque it to a specific number--I forget what. This preloads both top and bottom roller bearings and ensures correct gear lash. DO NOT lose the shims under the top outer bearing race. These set the gear lash and if you don't reinstall them, the gears will self destruct in a short period of time.

If you can not find a new pinion nut, re-stake the old one with a punch on three flats to re-deform the internal threads. This is how the nut locks on the threads.

As for the washers, I couldn't say where they go. If you have a three stud geargase, the black one might go under the thick grooved spacer to seal the center stud.

dheaton883

Cadet
Re: lower unit shaft bearing size and seal kit info

Thank you for the speedy reply. Ill try that in the morning. I cant get the bearing off the shaft, my first stop is the machine shop to get it off. Is there snything else that i need to look out for with this motor? I know its old and ive been going through the threads to familiarize myself with the problems they have.