Shift cable bellows

Eyeman

Seaman
1999 BIII. From the manual, it appears that I have the model with the later style cable. Page 4A-21. How the heck do I get the new bellows to slid over either cable end? First I'm pretty sure the cable needs to come out and then the bellows is slide onto the engine end of the cable, its entire length? Before being fed back through the gimbal housing. Both brass ends sure seem to large for the rubber bellow to fit over? Though the engine end of the cable brass seems a bit smaller. To remove the cable seems strange too. There's a clip in the gimbal housing that appear like it should be pushed into the bilge area from the outside of the boat, but I just can't tell. Then there's the cable wrapping, which I have no idea what it is even for. Is the wrap attached to the plastic fitting in the gimbal housing?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift cable bellows

The boot will fit over the engine end, soapy water, crc, etc .
remove core, unbolt from gimbal, pull cable out of the boot, install new boot, force brass end thru boot and up to shift plate, install to gimbal,

Eyeman

Seaman

Makes sense other than you say to remove the core. Is the core the solid wire inside the cable proper? I don't understand the reason for removing just the core, as the entire cable slides through the bellows. And that darn black plastic clip in the gimbal housing hole really has me stumped. It looks like it was pressed in from the engine side. Two screw drivers and it looks like it'll free from the gimbal housing and slide up the cable toward the engine end of the cable? What's it for and also what is the plastic wrap for?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I believe it is there to protect the cable from the inputshaft, I know it dosent work for a overheat, shift cable still melts. Ignore the bushing, your old one should be fine.

Eyeman

Seaman

How do I ignore the bushing, as it must come out or the cable will not fit through it and the gimbal house opening. Still confused. :confused: Do I push it into the engine compartment and then cut it off the cable?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The cable end will pass thru the plastic bushing, no need to remove it.

Eyeman

Seaman

Really, that's great. I have not removed the engine area linkage end of the cable yet, but it sure looks larger than the bushing. I'll get at it when the weather breaks. Thanks for the help.