dad found me replacement motor but it only turns 1/4 turn...what give...update

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
dad did it again, he has this habbit of going through one of our recyceling places here in town that taked in motors. well the 3.0 181 in my boat has a busted block (from previous ownner now winterising it). dad went over to this place and found a 140 mercruiser whick know is a 181 cid motor and would be a good canidate for a replacement.

now for the bad...we went looked the motor over didnt se any exterior cracks, no water marks or anything. we tried to turn motor over and it turned.....ewll sort or at least for 1/4 turn. we pulled the oil pan off thinking ti was a thrown rod. at that time we noticed some orange "permatex" that was used on the pan gasket and on the valve cover again. we looked every thing over and all the connecting rods pistons every thing on the bottom looks good, no metal in the pan either. so i started thinking that it was hydro locked we pulled plugs and found 2 of them that looked wet and the front to that was dry still not turn on the motor. we went to pull the valve cover off but didnt have the right tools for it with us.

i opted to purchase the motor which was 65$. my question what could be stopping this motor from turning all the way over???? i am goin in here very shortly to start the tear down and look in to this thing to see what is going on i just trying to get some inside for the pro's here........thanks again for all the help.......i will post pics and seriall numbers up once i get to the motor

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: dad found me replacement motor but it only turns 1/4 turn...what give

Ayuh,... It Could be most anything,...
Your tear down will reveal the Problem, when you get to it...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, gonna have to tear her down. But prolly rusted cylinder walls, rusted crankshaft, rusted something :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yep, gonna have to tear her down. But prolly rusted cylinder walls, rusted crankshaft, rusted something :)

$65 is a good deal for a 3.0L "core"

Before you tear it down though, you should pressure check the block.

If it's cracked internally, it will not hold pressure. Don't remove the water pump or head until you can check it. Many machine shops charge an additional $500 to "fix" a cracked block.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

oops i jumped the gun a little then....i didnt double check the messages till after we got started (had issues getting wifi signal in the shop). we did not pressur check it. (if some one could plsead send me a link on how to do that on jhust the motor?) since i have been fighting issues with the crack block i have a little idea what to look for. well we started off by pulling the valve cover, same issue pulled the lifter cover, same thing pulled the manifold then the head and walla we fount why she would not turn over...........low and be hold a rust ring inside the cylender (spell check) and that is 3what was stopping it from rotating..........after that dad took a bubble hone and spun it in there and low and be hold we got a full turn out of the motor. we went a head and pulled the pistons and rods to check thing......rings still have a sharp edge on them the rings on the skirts (that usually fade on a car motor after about 20000mi) are still there we ran hands up and down each cyl and every thing is total smooth not even a ring grove from wear or carbon bild up. we went through check all the bearings and they are showing min. wear and NO copper is showing. we went ahead and pulled the mains off and they all looked the same no copper and very minumal wear. we check the head over and we can t find anything wrong with it either.......only thing we did find was a spot where the head gasket what burned across between 2 cylenders

i tried to post pics but it is telling me that my file is to large to upload. and i am to computer stupid (in poor mans terms) to figure out how to down size them some one please help there and i will get them posted

does any one have an idea what i should do next. me and dad is thinking of cleaning pistons up really well making sure the rings are not stuck, a fresh gasket set rea assemble after head is back on then pressure check (since it was not done before) and if that checks out then see if it will fire and if so then do the swap

and one have any ideas of cencerns or somehting i am missing??

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

May want to have the head resurfaced and may as well have a valve job done on it at the same time. Lay a straight edge across it and the block to check for low spots especially where the gasket burned between the two cylinders.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just check with my local machine shop, (which i found out that the local marine currently has 2 head jobs on contract with them right now) and they only asking 45 to resurface the head and 90 to do the block i am really thinking about having both done putting new bearings and a full gasket set and running it..............only thing is this is the second head gasket that i have personally pulled off of a 3.0 that was burned like that and in the same place. all that is left when we pull the head is a piece of thin tin. is this a common issue on this motor? can any one suggest a headgasket that will hold up?

how do i resize the pics so i can post them up here?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You have the motor apart. It would be really sad if you assembled it without replacing the rings, rod and main bearings as well as the oil pump.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

You might want to take the crank over and have them measure the journals to make sure you can use standard size bearings when you put it back together again.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would use a Mercruiser gasket. Second choice would be a Felpro marine gasket(probably the same). The 3.0L engine is not an automotive engine. Never used in a car or truck. It was used in Forklifts, generators etc.....along with the GM 230/250/292 I-6, probably among best little 4 bangers ever used in a boat!

If you decide take it to a machine shop, ask them to check it for block cracks. They should be willing to guarantee it won't leak.

You can post pictures many ways. there's a button
insertimage.png
above your text-entry window that you can "roll" your mouse cursor over that will say [INSERT IMAGE]

once you click it, you'll see an "OPEN FILE" window where you can look on your own computer for the picture. If you're using MS Winblows, it'll be the same FILE-OPEN window that you use for everything else.

I don't know what it looks like for a MAC (isn't that a truck?) but it should be similar.

If file is too "big", you can download a free photo-resizing utility from many free software places.

Another way is to use a (free) photo hosting site like http://Photobucket.com (that's what I use....but there are many others, also free.....) that way you only upload your photos once. Then you can post your photos anytime by copy/pasting the link to the photo to any forum or any email.

Oh, Photobucket also has a photo resizing utility built right in.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have been attempting to use the photo deal here ;but cant seem to get it to work right (i have posted pics here bofore) so i am going to attempt this photo bucket thing. i did not get pictured of the pistons and rings for some reason but i do have some of the crank and the main bearings and you will be able to see how little wear there is in them. the rod bearings look the same but since i already have a set at the house i will defentally be replacing them as well as the mains. we are going to finish tearing block down and take it to machine shop have it magna fluxed (checked for cracks) hot tanked, get it decked and trued up (just in case) and going to have them chack the head out. with the minumal amount of wear i dont thein it will need a full head job but i wm going to let them make the call there. upon reassembly it will get new oil pump as previously stated new bearings. since the piston and rings are in such good shape i not think they will need to be replaced but will have the shop double check the tolerance numbers for me. i am going to reuse the the cam and lifters ( i know dont mix them up and they have to stay in order) and that is just to save expence plus there is hardly any wear as you can see if yopu closley in the pics. and i leaning tward teh felpro gaskets. the head gasket is not like the truble causing thin tin one that i keep seeing burning across (what causes that?) any suggestions?

lest see if this link to the photos that i currently have works.....pl;ease let me know

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Bearings though not showing any copper still have some unusual wear patterns but I see you are replacing them. May want to have the crank polished. When reassembling make sure they are spotless and use assembly lube on the bearings. What do you plan on doing about that cylinder with the rust? That's probably pretty deep. If the shop is going to hone it you may as well have them all honed for a re-ring and replace your rings.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

In photos 11 and 12 why does it look like there is a large gap between the piston and cylinder wall in that rusted cylinder?

The deck of that block looks like someone has been sanding or grinding around on it before in that area.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

if iwhat i am thinking you are seeing "the sanding or grinding marks" are from when right after we pulled the head we ever so lightly buzzewd across the deck with what i call a flapper wheel to clean the gasket material off to check it for cracks. the wheel never had time on any one spot to "dig" in any gien area. i am not for usue why it looks like there is a gap. but i do see what you are4 talking about maybe just shodwing on the picture? the pistons felt snug when coming out but that might hae just been the rings. any idea what caused the unusual wear pattern on the bearings? could it be an issue later on? i am not at the house right now and should be back saturday afgternoon (dam driing job keeps me from working on my toys but pays good) and i will try to get pics of the pistons and the bearings. i just hope that dad has not cleaned the pistons up to much

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

well good news is we are making progress. block is totall tore don now and over at the machine shop to get every thing check out. with they way they are talking i might be able to pick it up friday evening. i will let you all know what happens. .......man i hope this thing checks out to be a good one

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

update....got block back form machine shop and all checked out good. had head gasket surface on block decked flat, they said they had taken about 0.0030 off of that. had them true up the same surface on the head, and do the intake manifold side of the head as weel jsut to make sure that everything is true and flat. measured the crank out, i forget what the measurement was for sure but 2.99 sound right (it was on teh large side of teh scale) once bearings in used plastic guage to check tolerances on mains and it was only .002 (if i recall correctly but it was in spec) head check out by shop to be good. should be doing more assembly in the days to follow

does any ine have any thing that i should look out for? dad is assesting in this and he has rebuilt many small blocks in the past. any information is greatly appreciated and many thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Can't remember if anyone (or I) said it, but you should consider replacing the riser and manifold unless they are pretty new.

That rust in the one cyl is usually due to either a bad manifold, riser or manifold-riser gasket. It would be the pits to get it all back together and have that happen in a year or so....

Put brass pipe plugs (or brass petcocks) with T-tape in the block for block and manifold drains so you can drain them easily for winterization.........Make sure the machine shop used brass core plugs too.

you lucked out finding a good core engine for $65!!

Cheers,

Rick

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry took so long to reply as my lap top crashed and i have been away from the house with no internet.

i will have to see about finding brass plugs and put them in my self, i did not ask the shop to put new ones in, my bad.

i planned on using my manifold and riser that was on the motor in the boat. so it will be a differant riser.

i planned on running a line that went from the drain on the side of the block and the drain in the manifold and useing a "T" to link tehm together and a valve on the other side so that way all it take is turn a valve and the water is drained out of everything.....also going to put a valve coming off the oil pan drain with a hose so that way i can just stick the hose out the bilge drain hole (for lack of a better turm) and drain the oil into an approite container.

any thought on any of this?? and once again thanks for all the help