Speed paddlewheel repair

Dstrisch

Recruit
A friend of mine got fish line wrapped around the speedometer paddlewheel sending unit. It would spin and show a slower speed up to the dock. When I got home, I unraveled the line and the paddlewheel spun freely, but now I get no speedo reading at all. I assume the contacts loosened up, but I know nothing of the engineering of this part and wonder if they can be repaired vs be replaced. Waste of time trying / suggestions?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Speed paddlewheel repair

There are no contacts involved. A paddle wheel pickup is a reluctance (an electrical term) device which involves the tips of the paddle wheel passing an electrical component in the plastic housing. Check the area between the paddle wheel and the plastic housing. If a knife or sharp, pointed object was used to cut the line or poke around that area you may have damaged the pickup. This is a sealed assembly and unless the cable running from the sender to the head unit is cut or damaged (can be spliced if required) fixing the unit is not likely possible. I can't believe the fish line did any damage to the unit so I would concentrate on other causes. If this is an Eagle or Lowrance fish finder, a temperature sender is included in that housing. If that works, the cable is probably ok.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Speed paddlewheel repair

I agree with Ssilvertip.
The end of the paddle wheel has a small magnet in it.
The sensor detect the magnet as it goes by.
Every thing is sealed up.
I would try to lube with some Light oil like TRI Flow.
Also Make sure the paddles still go below the hull.
Also the paddle wheel should be level to the ground so that the paddle does not run to either side and rub against that side.