1984 merc 470/170hp

project 85

Seaman Apprentice
sorry i posted this is the merc outboard by accident!!

i am looking at a 19' thompson sea sport 191 with trailer. it has a merc 470/170hp engine. it has the alternator upgrade, looks very clean and maintained. right now it will turn over but not run. i havn't fooled with it yet my brother owns it now and was telling me about it. i wanted to know if there is anything in perticular i should look for on this boat and more importantly on the motor? i'm a newbie to boats so any and all info is helpfull.

thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1984 merc 470/170hp

Welcome to iboats.

I removed your duplicate post.

IF you have not purchased the boat I would recommend that you keep shopping. The 470 has a poor track record of serious issues from cam seals, head issues, cooling issues and more. Sorry to break the bad news but if you search the forums you will see.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i am looking at a 19' thompson sea sport 191 with trailer. it has a merc 470/170hp engine. it has the alternator upgrade, looks very clean and maintained. right now it will turn over but not run

DO NOT buy any boat unless you can hear it run. If the seller won't get it running, then offer him a price for the boat without a motor as you may have to replace it. People get burned buying non running boats all the time by sellers that say it just needs a set of points.
If that was true, why wouldn't they fix it and make the boat sell easier.

Bondo

Staff member

sorry i posted this is the merc outboard by accident!!

i am looking at a 19' thompson sea sport 191 with trailer. it has a merc 470/170hp engine. it has the alternator upgrade, looks very clean and maintained. right now it will turn over but not run. i havn't fooled with it yet my brother owns it now and was telling me about it. i wanted to know if there is anything in perticular i should look for on this boat and more importantly on the motor? i'm a newbie to boats so any and all info is helpfull.

thanks

Ayuh,... There's lotsa boat out there for sale,...
Find 1 that Doesn't have a 470, or OMC power...