Chipmunks...the curse of the suburbs...!

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's begun again. Holes appearing all around the bird feeder until the yard looks like a swiss cheese. Soon there will be dirt thrown around the flower beds and plants lifted (or pulled out).

Last year I live-trapped and removed 21 of the little b_st_ards to a local park, and still had a half-dozen of them running around until the cold weather chased them into hibernation. I'm wearing down. I DON'T want to do that again this year.

I prefer not to kill them, although I'm reconsidering that. Poison is out - not acceptable. Trapping is just not practical, as they and I play a numbers game. (Which they appear eminently capable of winning.) Whatever I do, I've got to start soon, before the young ones begin to appear.

I'm considering connecting a hose from the tailpipe of my truck, running it into the holes, and doing a little carbon monoxide job on them.

Any suggestions? Other than removing the bird feeder, that is.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Chipmunks...the curse of the suburbs...!

Better watch out, you might end up with the local PETA chapter after your butt!

I am so glad, I don't live in a town!

Around here, we just use propane, 5 minutes with the tank wide open and a hose down the hole, and a simple match, boommmm!

:eek:

woosterken

Lieutenant

take some 10 penny nails, stick them in the ground, rap copper wire around them , hook one on the neg. post and one on the pos. post of a fully charged battery.
i dont know if putting water down the hole would help ??, their tunnels probably run all over your yard.

woosterken

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Gamo is your friend!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have chippy's ....... and they are okay for my property. I usually feed them and they kept me company all last summer while I did boat work.

Now moles and red squirrels are my enemy. They do all the damage to my lawn and feeder's....... for those I have a pump up crossman single shot pistol..... works well!

Chris-R

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I second the BB gun idea. I have an old Daisy BB gun and it works fairly well. I bought a CO2 pistol too but it makes more noise. There's some super great air guns out there that will do the job. My son bought an AK-47 airsoft machine gun that will shoot an airsoft BB right through both sides of a beer can like nothing. He shot a chipmunk yesterday. Sprayed the thing with a hundred BBs. The chipmunk looked like swiss cheese. It didn't have a chance. You can get BB machine guns too. Check out this place for the best air guns: http://www.pyramydair.com/

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sign them to a record contract, move them in and introduce them to your girlfriend...Oh wait to much TV again...

Kill one and leave its body on display so all its friends know what time it is...:eek:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I think the full auto would be needed,the lil buggers dont sit still long.it would be great sport w a single shot though.A Jack Russel or a daushound or wiener dog would take care of them but destroy your yard in the process!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh remember the fully auto BB machine gun's that were sold in magazines ...... they used freon to power them. IF you can ever find one (and yes they are around) they now cost a small fortune. They were fun!

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

MTboatguy, are you serious about the propane? That's an interesting idea as I wouldn't have to identify each and every access hole.

I've considered mothballs, but there are two concerns:
1. Lots and lots of entry/exit holes to locate.
2. Not sure it would work...!

And of course, the place might hold the aroma for some time...!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Im thinking about the propane,and maybe some groundhog burrows or large caverns underground from rotting stumps in the mix,and a carelessly tossed cigarette, And its raining chunks of earth/rocks, cinged chipmonks and a groundhog:eek:wait thats Mr. Murry in Caddyshack, and he used C4:facepalm:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Well guys, I am serious, we use propane to get rid of our underground dwellers, effective, quick and NO you don't blow the holes up, what happens is you have a quick moving flash fire that sucks all of the oxygen out...used in moderation, it is very effective, over used you can make a real mess..

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use a .22 cal pellet rifle with a small medium power scope and pointed field pellets. Chipmunks, squirrels, etc. Use it from my back deck. Awesome. :D

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Mtboatguy,does the procedure make that WWAAAAWWHHOOOOOOOFFFF sound?!!Im just kidding about most of my posts if im misunderstood:)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Mtboatguy,does the procedure make that WWAAAAWWHHOOOOOOOFFFF sound?!!Im just kidding about most of my posts if im misunderstood:)

I didn't misunderstand believe me....I knew what you were saying...but in this area that I live, we actually do this..

:D

Makes for a very lively Saturday afternoon with the guys if you know what I mean!

:eek:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Do you need a garden hose to put out the fires the scurrying balls of flame start?Or can you just pour beer on them?:facepalm:I really like CMs,Ive had them jump on my lap and boots while turkey hunting and havent seen them or had any problems at home,they're abundant about 20 miles north.Alot more rocky there.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

In reality, we don't bother the CM's around here, but those darn gophers, now, them and I don't get along with each other, they chewed through my drainage field a few years ago, so they are on the hit list!

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I`ve always used my ruger 10-22 loaded with fine shot. My kids grew up hunting chippies around the yard but now they are growed and gone and my hands arent as steady as they once were so I`ve been looking at one of these. 1,4 or 8 round burst. Yeh I think I could raise some fur with it.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=703138