89 evinrude v6 xp 150hp ran hot will not start

jayjay7

Cadet
Ok I am new to all this I have worked on care and motorcycles but never a 2 stroke motor. I took my boat out on the lake the other day and it ran hot and the motor just cut off and would not restart. I know why it ran hot it was the watrer pump and that has been fixed but now it will not start. It turns over just fine and I have checked the spark plugs and it seems that they are firing. I am not sure what to look for from here will someone please help me.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 evinrude v6 xp 150hp ran hot will not start

If you have spark, the only other issue would be fuel. Some things to check: 1. are the plugs wet or dry after you crank it? If the plugs are dry, you are not getting fuel. If they are wet, you are getting fuel, but you may not have spark. 2. That engine is very, very hard to start when cold if the choke does not work. You can test that system, by pulling the tiny hose off the top of the top carb. Turn the ignition key to on, and push in on it. You should see fuel coming out of that small hose. If not, check the choke solenoid-it may not be funtioning. 3. Prime the fuel hose bulb. That forces fuel into the carbs for cold start up. To check for fuel at the carbs, pull one of the two bowl drain screws off. You should see fuel coming out of the carb. 4. Check for any iognition wires that may have gotten overheated and may be grounding out to the side of the block. 5. Fill a typical household spray bottle with fuel that is properly mixed with 50-1 outboard oil. Remove the airbox cover. When cranking the engine, spray some fuel/oil mist into the throats of the carbs-it should start. 6. Back to the spark issue. It's easy to check for spark when cranking by using an inductive timing light. Leave the plugs in when cranking. The gun will show the spark quality in the flashes of the gun. It will show misfires, nofires and weak spark. 7. That engine must turn over around 250 rpm when cranking in order for the ignition system to fire. If your battery or starter is weak and you are only cranking at 200 it won't fire the ignition system.

jayjay7

Cadet

ok well i do have spark and there is fuel to the carbs. I took a spray bottle and and spray gas mixture into them will cranking but it still will not start up. The battery is fully charged but it does seem like its turning over a little sluggishly. In what direction do I need to turn in now.

SparkieBoat

Captain

do not forget compression....

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the red plug harness in the bottom of the engine cowling. Jump start the starter by hooking battery cables from a fresh battery direct to the starter. This bypasses the rest of the starting system: the key switch and the starter solenoid. It may turn over slightly faster. If it fires, the problem is in the harness or the solenoid, or the key switch. The engine will run without the harness, BUT keep in mind that you will not be able to shut the engine off, since the key switch is disconnected. If you want to shut it off, reconnect the red plug and turn the key off or get some insulated pliers and pull the spark plug wires off the plugs.

jayjay7

Cadet

Ok I tried unplugging the red plug and jumping the starter turns a little faster not much but still does not run. I checked the compression but not sure in what order they are in so looking at the back of the motor the top right cylinder was 60psi and the other 5 read about 30psi. If I checked it correctly. I took the heads off they don't look warped but not sure and the pistons don't appear brocken but not sure just a little wear on the top.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The normal compression on that engine should be in the 90-95 lbs (per cylinder) range. If you only have 30, it won't run. Check the seal rings on the head gaskets. They probably got damaged during the overheat. If so, replace both head gaskets.

jayjay7

Cadet

I looked at the gaskets and they seem ok. I have another thought could the timing have gotten off from it running hot? Would that cause it not to run. I also have thought of something else I do have gas in the carb bowls but I am not sure if the fuel is making it to the plugs for ignition. How can I tell?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

The normal compression on that engine should be in the 90-95 lbs (per cylinder) range. If you only have 30, it won't run. Check the seal rings on the head gaskets. They probably got damaged during the overheat. If so, replace both head gaskets.

^^^^^

30 PSI is not enough.

Check the heads for warping, also.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Unikely the flywheel key is broken, but you can check. A timing light on #1 plugwire will show the current timing, per the marks on the top of the flywheel. If the fuel is getting to the carbs, the plugs should be wet. Crank the engine with the choke on, then pull one or two plugs for a visual inspection.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

30 PSI is bad news. What do the cylinder walls look like?
Scoring or aluminum transfer?

jayjay7

Cadet

The cylinder walls look good surprisingly no scoring or anything and the pistons are not loose. I don't know if that means anything. I am just at a dead end I don't know which way to turn

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Tim Frank has a good comment. Did you check them for flatness?

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe your compression gauge lied to you?
AKA piece of poop.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Not trying to be difficult....but....if Joe Reeves or DHadley or maybe a handful of others looked at a used head gasket and said to me "go ahead and reuse it", I'd probably do so. But beyond that, reusing a head gasket is one of the falsest economies around, and it's really tough to assess the true condition. I wouldn't make that call myself!

Eyeballing heads for warping is also a mug's game; that is what a surface plate and feeler gauges are for....;)

Just sayin'....:)

jayjay7

Cadet

Hear is what I tried so far put some high temp rtv silicone ont the head gaskets and it brought the compression back up to 90 psi but I have not tried to crank it yet I will post and let you know if it runs or not

SparkieBoat

Captain

you may also have damaged pistons, when run hot it can melt the part that covers the exhaust ports and leak pressure into your crank case.