Nissan NS40C CDI Swap

Check Mate

Recruit
Hello,
I have a late 1980's Nissan 40 Hp Model NS40C. The CDI is bad. I have a another CDI unit and coil assembly from a 2004 NS40C. The CDI part number is 361-06060-1 and the coil part number is 361-06040-0. Is it possible to use these components together in place of the bad unit with the proper grounding of the coil, and same wire color code on the CDI unit? If so will there be any timing issues? How can the spark plug connection top and bottom be determined?
Thanks,
Check Mate

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan NS40C CDI Swap

Never tried it. Might work -- probably would work, as you basically just have 2 separate items (coil and CD are separate) -- as long as the ohm values for your old-style exciter and trigger are the same as on the new style. Both plugs will fire each revolution, so plug wire firing order does not matter -- you can connect either plug wire to either plug. Elvin is the expert on the 40C motors -- see whether he has words of wisdom on this setup.

Check Mate

Recruit

I don't have a 2004 engine to test the resistance value of the pulsar and exiter coils. The one I have now is close to these spec's.

Test the stator (exciter) and trigger (pulsar) stator coils as follows:
Red Black 270 ohms
Blue Black 40 ohms

Thanks,
Check Mate

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You need a service manual for the values and test procedures. I've never had a reason to Frankenstein one of those, but electrically it should work out the same between the old CD unit and the newer style CD plus coil.