Mercruiser 3.0 Liter Engine Not Starting

Bthomasso

Recruit
17' '95 Capri Bayliner with Mercruiser 3.0 Liter Engine Not Starting. Pristine motor with tight connections and no corrosion whatsoever. Turns over; however no spark. Replaced plugs, ensured tight battery connections. Engine "shakes" a few times but does not ignite. Gas odor is clearly there. Battery fully charged. Any ideas??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mercruiser 3.0 Liter Engine Not Starting

To I/O

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I know you mention it is a 95, and I assume it is electronic ignition, but is that a correct assumption? If so, is it the Thunderbolt IV? Someone posted a site recently with a step by step proceedure for diagnosing that ignition, you may do a search. If it is points, then a new set of points and condensor should get it going.

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have a problem with either the module or the pole piece/pick up coil.The pick up coil is located in the dist.It has the 4 triangle shaped points in the center of the dist.There are 2 wires going to it.1 green&1white.If there is a brown substance oozing out of the white insulation tape odds are its the problem.I've done 3 in the last week with the same problem.You'll need to pull the dist.to change it.Modules do go bad but more often it's the pick up coil