788c gps antenna installation

Snap43nib

Seaman Apprentice
This unit has a puck style antenna is it okay to just mount in on the dash/ under my windshield?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: 788c gps antenna installation

Just set it there to make sure you get good satalite reception before drilling holes and mounting. Have people sit/stand in normal positions. It shouldn't be any issue, but always best to check.

If marking fish/structure for the most accuracy, place it near the transducer.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

After setting it (unmounted) where you wnat it, drive the boat around a bit. If the antenna gets blocked by trees/building/etc, it's quick to lose a signal. They usually fixate on 6 satellites so all they need is to lose one and you'll miss your signal.

Snap43nib

Seaman Apprentice

i seems to work just fine in my garage on my bench, maybe I'll hook it up in my car and drive around a bit

jhebert

Ensign

This unit has a puck style antenna[. Is] it okay to just mount [it] on the dash...under my windshield?

Usually radio waves will pass through material which is transparent to light, unless there is some sort of metallic coating on the material.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Usually radio waves will pass through material which is transparent to light, unless there is some sort of metallic coating on the material.

You mean like my anti-UFO foil helmet?

Snap43nib

Seaman Apprentice

Thing works just fine on my passenger seat in my car, so I think surface mounting it on my dash will work.