4 stroke or 2 stroke what to buy

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK guys and gals. iv owned plenty of older boats and now im ready to bite the bullet and buy me a new boat. need your thoughts on motors

i got my mind on the 4 stroke 90HP mercury because from what i read the 4 strokes are easier to start, runs quieter and dont have to mix gas and oil.

my other choice is a 90HP optimax. iv owned a few carbed 2 strokes and i hated the starting and i hated the mixing gas. i know the new motors has vro and there now fuel injected and start better but which would you buy??

im leaning towards the four stroke. speed and power is not a factor. i do not care about holeshot or anything i just want to be able to hit the switch and go. sound is also not a problem i dont mind a louder motor i just want to be able to hit the switch and go.

so 90hp 4 stroke or 90hp optimax 2 stroke?

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4 stroke or 2 stroke what to buy

Hi Mike:
67 year old fisher here. I bought a mercury 15 hp 4 stroke for my 14' alum three years ago. I love the fuel consumption, no stink, less polutiion, easy starting. They don't wind up like a 2 stroke. Al Gore and (the boys) will at some point will ban 2 strokes on some water I am sure! They are not as maintenance free
as a 2. Valve adjustment and timing belts, and oil changes plus filters. I change mine twice a season, but I am a nut. I have read on this forum that alot of starting problems, but most abuse their fuel systems so they deserve it. Good Luck !

miichael18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it comes with a 5 year warranty. will that cover valve adjustments and belt? how often do you have to change timing belt(s)

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

I dunno.....i've owned nothing but 2-strokes, and I have alot of friends that have 4-strokes. I fish with them, and run with them, and I like my 2-stroke better. Then again I like the smell of 2-stroke exhaust and I've got the mixing to a science. I've had 1 that was oil injected and that was easy, keep the container full of oil and just pump regular old gas in the tank and go. I believe if you keep regular maint on the fuel system of a 2-stroke, fresh plugs, and a little carb adjust every once in a while and 2-strokes will light up just as easy as a 4-stroke. My little merc will start up like no tomorrow even if it's been sitting for a month.....just like the guy who put the video on here (nice boat by the way), just that easy. I think there is a reason why old 2-strokes made 30 years ago are still kicking up wake on the water, and running just as good as the day they were purchased new. Simplicity will always out perform technology, and the marine environment is a harsh element on something with such complicated systems as some 4-strokes. Although, some 4-strokes are becoming simple in design.....and may perform very close to 2-strokes. I think if you have a budget, want something easy to work on and mainly trouble free, want something light....go with a 2-stroke. If you have a little extra cash, don't mind a little extra weight, are prepared to change oil and timing belts, go with the 4-stroke. Either way, if you maintain it.....it's gonna run.

Jeep Man

Commander

Went 4 stroke and never looked back. No mixing, no smell and a miser on gas.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you can handle the cost and weight penalty, then I'd totally go 4-stroke. Just from my experience everything 4-stroke seems to run better for longer without having run issues where 2-strokes seem to be much more finicky. However my boat motor is a 84 mercury 90hp inline 6 and it fires up like a new motor. Squeeze the primer bulb till it's hard, give it 4 shots of the primer button on the controls, set the throttle and hit the key and it fires up within a couple seconds. You would never know it's closing in on 30 years old. Also my brother and I both have late 70's ski-doo's and if they haven't started by the second pull, something is wrong. So a well maintained 2-stroke can go a long way. A worn out 2-stroke can really suck, and a worn out 4-stroke seems to be able to run better for longer than a worn out 2. For me it comes down to cost, I just can't afford the newer stuff but would do it if I could.