1981 40 hp merc 2cyl no spark

john 355

Recruit
i have 1981 40 hp merc with no spark i replaced power pack an still no spark also engine wont turn over with spark plugs in help please could it be stator and how do i test it please help me thanks

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1981 40 hp merc 2cyl no spark

You need to address the slow crank first, cables, battery connections, battery?. With that fixed you may start right up.

john 355

Recruit

i checked battery its good cables are tight it turns over good with plugs out could it be starter is week it has good compressiton could it have to mutch commpresstion or reeds stuck

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Once you are SURE the battery is fully charged and all cable connections are clean, bright and tight, if the motor still cranks below the minimum cranking speed for the ignition to operate, you can test the starter, grab your handy setr of battery jumper cables, attach one end to the battery and while a helper is cranking the motor with the key, attach the positive jumper cable directly to the positive post on the starter. If the starter speeds up you may have a poor starter relay, if no change then suspect the starter needs cleaning at least, possibly new brushes and/or a new armature.