high speed miss??? fuel pump?

008wagon

Seaman
i have a 1989 johnson 60 horse thet has devolped a high speed miss. it only misses at full throttle. i put on a new power pack and three coils with no help . it doesn't always do it though. i am thinking possible the fuel pump is on the fritz? it has the vro fuel pump but the oiling side is disconnected and i premix. is this the only pump i can use or is there a regular pump that will work? i really don't want to spend 400 dollars on a new vro pump. thanks any help would be great

008wagon

Seaman
Re: high speed miss??? fuel pump?

would the fuel pump cause the high speed miss? also if i fill my gas tank so full that the vent lines a plugged with fuel could that cause the miss?

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yah the fuel pump could,so could it drawing air somewhere,and a non vented tank could vacuum then no fuel delivery.What kind of fuel tank you have? Think I would start checking all fuel lines from the motor to the tank first,disconnect blow air in the line and soap at each connection watch for bubbles.If OK then connect the fuel to motor pressurize bulb really good and look with a flashlight for seepage.Maybe install a clear inline fuel filter and watch for air bubbles after the pump.
Buy its so easy and cheep I normally go straight to the carbs clean and kit them, the motor is 22years old When were they last cleaned/kitted? If I know the carbs were done right then I would start searching if it kept missing.

008wagon

Seaman

its in a 89 lund 16.5 tyee . its a 18 gallan built in tank. the tank is vented but it can be filled to where it fills the vents. the fuel pump has fuel dripping from the bottom of it could that be the issue

the fuel pump has fuel dripping from the bottom of it ...

I believe I'd put that in the "bad" column. That shouldn't be happening, there's a good chance air is being drawn into the fuel pump under certain conditions. I believe I'd get that taken care of before trying to run the engine any more.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Fule dripping from the fuel pump was not a manufacturer design, so I would definately find that a bit suspect. Obvious leaks should be the first thing you remedy.