Rubber boot protector

brn82158

Cadet
Does anyone know what the rubber boot protector is called that keeps water ou of the boat. This part is located on the lower unit in back of the boat I think it has something to do with the trim it is between the lower unit and I think the back of the engine. It is a 1982 starcraft v221 holiday I think 140 hp mercruiser.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rubber boot protector

A boot is a boot. Them things are only on older units I think and can leak and close when at a Idle or off. Need to check all around them every now and then. Now if you mean the boot from the exhaust it is also a problem some times . You should get some good advice here as there are a lot of IO fans.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I believe what you are talking about are the bellows.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Ah yes my old mind plays tricks on me ocassionally. Bellows it is.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

The u-joint bellows is the critical one, if water leaks in there you get major problems.
The exhaust bellows is not real critical if it leaks.
I just replaced mine because for some reason the u-joint bellows got a hole in it. Not sure how.
Bellows where not cracked and not very old. It must have been a defect, something got in there and punch a hole, or some one used a knife and poked a hole in it. I will never know, but it caused some damage to the outdrive, transmon assembly, and bearing. I had the send the outdrive in for repair because it started leaking oil past the seal.