GOOD places to boat and water sports in central illinois......any suggestions

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
i am fairly new to water sports and boating....got baot last year and afer being on the lake 3 times noticed getting water in the oil getting that fixed now and looking for good places to enjoy it in the central illinois area. the lake i live on is fairly small (lake sara) and on nice days it gets so crowded i really dont want to be out on it with the kids so i am looking ofr some plces to enjoy suggestions please

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: GOOD places to boat and water sports in central illinois......any suggestions

I thought WI was the only place Illinois boaters came.:D

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: GOOD places to boat and water sports in central illinois......any suggestions

lol never been to wi in my boat, clinton lake ,il and rend lake,il or drive down to land between the lakes kentucky, but clinton lake about 1.5 hors from ya has beaches right by the camp grounds i have n't been there awhile was a cooling lake, rend lake is good fishing so is lake barkely in kentucky

TilliamWe

Banned

Where is "Lake Sara"?

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

lake sara is just outside effingham il, i am about 30 miles from lake shelbyville cna any one give me any info on it? past experances? whatg about caryle?

AZSeville

Seaman Apprentice

Lake Shelbyville is a very nice lake.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to Carlyle a few times last summer, you can usually find a place to ski/tube/board, but there are not many coves to hide out in. I have launched at the "Dam West" and the "Keyesport" ramps and both are nice wide ramps with ample parking, I think it was $3 to launch. You will definitely want to stay to the southern end of the lake (below the train tracks) as it is very shallow and stumpy on the northern end, I see guys fishing up there but I won't take my boat up there. There is a beach where many boats anchor and swim on the east side of the lake, it has been family friendly every time I have anchored there. There are some shallow areas, so I'd suggest getting a map. Also, I am not sure how large your boat is, but on a windy day Carlyle can get a little choppy since it is a big wide lake and the surrounding land is so flat.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks i appreciate that. that was one of the lakes that i have been thinking about but hav e not heard anything about. it is fairly close to where my brother is at. thanks again

macsfriended

Seaman

More good words for Carlyle.

Spent many years sailing there and it is an excellant lake for sailing. Good winds and few problems from power boaters charging thru a sailboat racing fleet.

Also used our 17 ft. runabout there many times and still no complaints. Watch the weather and you'll enjoy plenty of open water for skiing, etc. The Hazlett state park on the western shore has many campground sites adjoining where you can tie your boat to a tree for the night.

My father was from Effingham and his mother and several of his brothers stayed there. Our family often visited there including at Lake Sara. Nice town and lake.

Last edited:

macsfriended

Seaman

More good words for Carlyle.

Spent many years sailing there and it is an excellant lake for sailing. Good winds and few problems from power boaters charging thru a sailboat racing fleet.

Also used our 17 ft. runabout there many times and still no complaints. Watch the weather and you'll enjoy plenty of open water for skiing, etc. The Hazlett state park on the western shore has many campground sites adjoining where you can tie your boat to a tree for the night.

h20skiluvr

Cadet

Clinton is worth it, especially in the early spring on the warm side!