Omc cobra 5.8 stern drive---help

skkb99

Recruit
De-winterized and engine will not start. No fuel getting to fuel filter....read may be a fuse...???????? Where is fuse??? WHere else to start.

1994 Four WInns

Thanks!

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Omc cobra 5.8 stern drive---help

Can you hear the pump run for a second or so when you turn the key-on??

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like fuel pump issues. Does it have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? You can check to see if there's fuel before the pump by removing the hose. If there's fuel there, It's a pump issue. If you have an electric fuel pump you should hear it run briefly when you turn the ignition on as ridepate stated. You can also put a test light on it.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Forget it. It's junk. No one likes Ford/OMCs anyway...so I will do you a great favor and take it off your hands. No, no...really...there is no need to thank me, and I won't even charge you a pick up fee. Just tell me where it is, and I will make sure that POS doesn't plague you anymore. :D

'94 should be the EFI version, so the prior posts are correct in saying to check for power to the pump...which is waht I am sure you were getting at with the fuse question. Should be under the dash. You may also have a circuit breaker in the engine compartment. Go to the Four Winns website, and you can download a owner's manual for free for your boat. It will tell you the location.

Let me know if you decide to take me up[ on my offer! :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You might want to post the full model number of your engine, boat year isn't necessarily the year of your engine, and at this point we don't know if you have EFI or a Carbed engine.

'94 should be the EFI version,

Ford used both carbed and EFI versions through 96, which was the last year for Ford with OMC, or Volvo for that matter.

infideltarget

You might want to post the full model number of your engine, boat year isn't necessarily the year of your engine, and at this point we don't know if you have EFI or a Carbed engine.

Ford used both carbed and EFI versions through 96, which was the last year for Ford with OMC, or Volvo for that matter.

You are, of course, right Don. I was just looking at the production figures in the online guide, and the odds are it is the EFI, plus the OPs mention of a fuse led me to assume (ahem!...I know...) he has an electric pump and therefore EFI. I did not take into account a possible helper pump in the tank, installed on a carb engine. My bad.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

plus the OPs mention of a fuse led me to assume (ahem!...I know...) he has an electric pump and therefore EFI. I did not take into account a possible helper pump in the tank, installed on a carb engine

He may have a carbed engine, "they have mechanical pumps" and not even know it. Or it may be EFI, but until we know, why waste time giving information that may not even have anything to do with his engine. One other point, there are NO electric boost pumps in tanks on marine engines. That's an automotive thing. Neither OMC, Mercruiser, or Volvo have ever put a pump in the fuel tank. Their systems are all designed to stand alone.

infideltarget

He may have a carbed engine, "they have mechanical pumps" and not even know it. Or it may be EFI, but until we know, why waste time giving information that may not even have anything to do with his engine. One other point, there are NO electric boost pumps in tanks on marine engines. That's an automotive thing. Neither OMC, Mercruiser, or Volvo have ever put a pump in the fuel tank. Their systems are all designed to stand alone.

Agreed. Like I said...you were correct, and I "assumed". We all know what that means. And thank you for clarifying the helper pump thing. I did not know that. :)