May buy 1987 Johnson 8.0 hp any opinions or advice?

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
As the title says, Im looking at buying a 1987 8.0 Johnson to replace the 4.0 hp kicker on my boat. I asked the seller if you had to mix the oil with the gas (this was a test to see if he was mixing at 100/1 per the sticker on the side) He told me yes, mixed at 50/1 and proceeded to tell me about the OMC revised oil mix recommendation. (good to know, passed the test)
No major repairs or overhauls, motor not run in 2 years ( yes, I know how to wake a sleeping outboard.)
Anyhow, if I cant hear the motor run, what inspections or tests besides the obvious compression test can I perform to lessen my chances of getting burned?
Also, looking for a general concensus on this particular model. Anything to be concerned about?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: May buy 1987 Johnson 8.0 hp any opinions or advice?

Great motor. If it has good compression anything else that would crop up should be an easy fix. Good luck.

AEROCOOK

Good to know, thats for the input.

CatfishMN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My dad's used this same motor since purchased new as a kicker. Great little motor.

AEROCOOK

Well I ended up buying it. Compression is good motor very clean and no sign of major repairs or overheat. Hoping to barrel test it this weekend if the ice in my rain barrel is melted.