Resurrecting 1990 6hp Johnson

labougie

Seaman Apprentice
Couldn't get it to start and because it had been running from a rusty tank, I figured fuel first. I put a repair kit into the fuel pump, blew out all the lines, then disassembled and cleaned the carb. As of now, it will start (only with no choke, but on two cylinders) but misses badly, won't tick over, and seems to be running very rich. I can't experiment more yet, 'cos there was no water and I'm waiting for an impellor. Compression is 95 in the top, 90 in the lower. In the meantime, I looked at the electrics and according to the book, I should be able to make a 1/2" spark at the plug end - I can only manage 1/4". Is this within acceptable boundaries?

I didn't use a repair kit on the carb and given some good pressure buildup with the fuel line bulb, it leaks fuel from 101 in the diagram below.
marked.png.jpg

101 is connected via the gasket to 100, the 'J' shaped tube. Does this mean that the rubber-tipped fuel inlet needle isn't seating properly?

Any pointers gratefully taken, thanks in advance.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Resurrecting 1990 6hp Johnson

SEE IF YOU CAN GET 3/8TH GAP SPARK TO JUMP,
If not, inspect the coils for cracks,
Does it have points or powerpack?

Your model number would help.:)

iNSTALL A CARB KIT,
101 looks like an overflow, the carb kit will include a new main needle to stop that.(its flooding).

labougie

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Resurrecting 1990 6hp Johnson

Apologies, it's actually Belgian, BJ6RESR but it corresponds exactly to J6RESR. No, the spark won't jump 3/8" and now that I've measured it more accurately, it's only jumping 3/16", not 1/4".

Neither the power pack nor the charge coil seem to have any cracks to the casing. However, the power pack is only showing laminations on the top half of the working face ? is this as it should be? The charge coil has a small amount of abrasion on the working face.

DSCN4309.JPG

DSCN4312.JPG

There seems to be some metal swarf in there, but I can?t readily see where it might have come from. Carb repair kit on the way, along with impellor, so I should soon be able to rule the carb out of the loop.