Looking for a new low cost flats boat

MrJimbo

Cadet
I'm started my research in buying a NEW flats boat that will primarily be used for freshwater Largemouth Bass fishing in Florida. I'm looking for a fiberglass/composite, center console, boat that is extremely low priced. It seems there is a never ending list of flats boats manufacturers and the list may be growing faster than my research. I'm hoping someone here has a suggestion or an experience to share with me.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Looking for a new low cost flats boat

For "extremely low priced" maybe consider aluminum jon-type boats, lots of styles, hull designs, configurations. Express and Sea Ark would be good web-sites to check out. A "flats boat" is just a shallow-draft boat with a poling tower on the back. For real skinny water look at tunnel hulls with jet drive outboards. Good Luck!

MrJimbo

Cadet

Thanks Rober. I've already got an aluminum boat and your comments are spot on, but now I'm looking for fiberglass/composite.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

aluminum is usually too noisy for flats fishing.

The king of the cheap boats for skinny water is the Carolina Skiff, J series. Skimmer and Bay Runner, if I recall the names correctly, make knock-offs of them. I think Palm beach does, too.

The nice thing about a completely flat hull is you can run a much smaller motor,and they hold a surprisingly large number of people. I run a 50 on a 19' Carolina Skiff. It floats in a tablespoon of water. I have spent a lot of time on the shove pole with it.

If you prefer a little shape to the bow, look at a "bay boat" design. Most flats boats are that hull. Take a look at Sea Hunt, a good quality mid-range boat. A little shape to the hull helps with the poling, especially in the wind.

You can add a poling platform to any boat and call it a flats boat; there's no magic to that. You can also pole a boat without a platform, although it's nice to be above the gunwales. So a rear casting platform is usually all you need; the height of the poling platform is an added advantage more for spotting. And doing backflips.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I had one of these at one time. Nice boat for fishing the intercoastal, lakes and rivers:
img_7169.jpg

http://www.gheenoe.net/sixteenft.html

MrJimbo

Cadet

Thanks all for you ideas. What's the scoop on Bay Craft boats? I've been to their website, but here is not much info outside of that.