Luxury bow riders.

biglurr54

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at getting a new to me boat. I currently have a 18 foot crestliner which has been great but it's time to upgrade. I'm looking for something 21 to 23 feet long. I absolutely love the looks and build quality of the cobalts. Especially the traditions. Buy my favorite boat is the Chris craft launch. All of which are just a hair out of my budget. What were some other top of the line boat builders in mid 1990's?

Ob1415

Seaman
Re: Luxury bow riders.

Tige, Master Craft, Moomba to name a few. These are moreso wakeboarding/towing boats, but man are they NICE!!!

BTW - there are certainly "higher end" boats out there than these, but these are the ones I considered before deciding that I wanted a brand new boat, instead of going higher end used.

mgmidget72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just curious - what features would differentiate a boat as luxury? How would these differ from a standard bow rider?

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

It's like comparing a Lexus to Corolla. Fit, finish, quality of finish, amenities, ride quality, it's a long list... Take a look at an entry level Bayliner - Great Boat, Great Value for the money (similar to a Corolla/Camry - one of the best selling lines), then take a gander at the same sized Cobalt (like a Lexus ES 350 - made on the same chassis as a Camry- but wow what a difference in finished product and $15k more money)

mgmidget72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Gotcha. So I guess it's more an over-all feeling than individual features or options.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

To a point - Both models have seats, but, higher end boats have more padding, better vinyl, probably more adjustable, maybe a flip up bolster etc. A more expensive boat will have more sound deadening in the hull (something Cobalt is known for). Entry level boats will usually not have minor things such as a compass, hour meter, depth finder. The higher end boats will usually have more storage and better lined storage compartments, higher grade carpet. Stainless instead of plastic or aluminum in places such as thru hulls and grab bars... Mid cleat on the high end... the list is pretty long.

hostage

Lieutenant

Regal's are very nice as well.

My folks just got a Regal 2300 and love it. It is a really nice boat. Even the decals are inlaid into the gelcoat. It turns really nicely and has a lot of nice features.

Attachments

• Israel 2300 006.jpg
    Israel 2300 006.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 on the Chaparral...but I am biased.

Still waiting to hear your price range.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are looking at a high quality 90's bowrider....try a Mariah. Built to the highest standards and they come with amenities you will not find on most boats. Look for "Z" model and you will be blown away!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Cobalt has always made high-end boats. Get a 90s Cobalt, be happy.

Another option would be A Grady White dual console of the same vintage. They have the advantage of outboard power and are also very high-end boats. They hold their value really well too, probably better than a Cobalt.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Not sure what defines luxury in a 23' boat.
I will say that with a ten-year old boat, I would look at care and maintenance first.
A poorly cared for "luxury brand" won't be a great addition to the family.

I like SeaRays, but you only have to stroll to the Resto Forum to see how a "luxury brand" can turn into a resto project.