Distributor help!***Mission Accomplished***

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Distributor help!

I believe that could be the case, old wize one is very methodical...But if i am reading this right there's a mechanical goof somewhere..aka the rotor is passing the contact node then firing..Id almost bet that if he takes that motor to tdc by measuring piston height... the rotor will not be in alingment with the no. 1 node.

Nail on head TG. All other parts of the system are working normal, including the matching Pertronix coil. As usual, I am wearing out the gunwales climbing in and out of the boat but I think I've got the phasing issue corrected. Why it ever became an issue I will never know. All I have to do is get the steel gear placement re-measured then remounted and then I will de-winterized and run it for a test.

This has been as trying as recent current events.:rolleyes:

puddle jumper

Captain

I cant remeber the application but i think theres a pick up assembly use in kit cars to correct this problem. They use it becouse of body clearances and distributor location. It works on a slide and adjusting screw. It just simply rotates inside the distributor.

WizeOne

Commander

I cant remeber the application but i think theres a pick up assembly use in kit cars to correct this problem. They use it becouse of body clearances and distributor location. It works on a slide and adjusting screw. It just simply rotates inside the distributor.

Well pj, that is kinda what mine does now. I slotted the new screw holes in the ignitor plate. If it is not exactly where I want it, I can loosen the screws and rotate the plate.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Nail on head TG. All other parts of the system are working normal, including the matching Pertronix coil. As usual, I am wearing out the gunwales climbing in and out of the boat but I think I've got the phasing issue corrected. Why it ever became an issue I will never know. All I have to do is get the steel gear placement re-measured then remounted and then I will de-winterized and run it for a test.

This has been as trying as recent current events.:rolleyes:

:redface: Ya think...current event's that is. At least we can now get down to the basic's...Umm...the greatest task that confront's us now is to RETIME a certain someone.......and as you know, that could be a real "Dusey"...........:D Sorry JB i just had to...:confused: Umm did i spell it right this time...;)

Thank God Its OVer....Peace Out.

WizeOne

Commander

: :redface: Ya think...current event's that is. At least we can now get down to the basic's...Umm...the greatest task that confront's us now is to RETIME a certain someone.......and as you know, that could be a real "Dusey"..........
I think you are confusing RETIMING with REPHASING! It is really a matter of firing in the wrong place, not the wrong time.:p

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Found this, hope it helps. cp from another site. Some can call me Bill and some can call me Will but its all the same to me...

Phasing is simply an offbeat pseudonym for timing.

1. Locate TDC of the compression stroke for #1 cylinder.
2. Mark timing marks on harmonic at desired timing point (usually 6 degrees BTDC).
3. Mark distributor case where #1 spark plug wire plugs in cap (centerline of electrical post).
4. Rotate engine to timing mark on harmonic.
5. Remove distributor cap, loosen distributor and turn until rotor aligns with mark on distributor case (step #3 above). If vaccuum advance diaphragm prevents full movement, lift distributor, and drop back in at gear tooth where rotor will allow easy adjustment of distributor before and after mark (step #3 above). When rotor is exactly aligned on cap post for #1, car is timed.
6. Reinstall cap and tighten distributor.
7. Validate timing with timing light (vaccuum advance disconnected and plugged, engine rpm at lowest obtainable rpm or 600 rpm). Light should flash directly on timing mark (see #2 above).

dolluper

Captain

Thanks NK, I'll have to read up on that.:D Maybe the problem has been the switching of a 302 distrib to a 5.0 motor.
From what you have done it certainly appears so that's why we wanted the dist #;s and motor #'s to cross reference......but that been said is it as simple as the gear...doesn't seem so eh...wrong magnetic timer possible fires late....you will get it after everything you have fixed already

xtraham

Lieutenant

Thanks NK, I'll have to read up on that.:D Maybe the problem has been the switching of a 302 distrib to a 5.0 motor.
a 302 is a 5.0, moving the gear a notch will not correct the phasing of the switching point of the igniter, either the pickup is not right, or the exciter ring is not right, you still have not advised if the boat is equipped with a shift interrupter, if it is that could be all of your problems.

dolluper

Captain

will say this ONLY ONE MORE TIME the base plate location is what determines phasing or cap LOCATION OR ROTOR to SHAFT LOCATION all the rest is static....I wanted you to drop in the distributor on a different tooth just as a test ...the results tell me lots....I have seen the wrong magnetic timer on pickups or in combination hall effect have serious phasing issues but usually resizing so the base plate is adjustable will let you get it right on the money ....that's why what you you say is miffin me

WizeOne

Commander

a 302 is a 5.0, moving the gear a notch will not correct the phasing of the switching point of the igniter, either the pickup is not right, or the exciter ring is not right, you still have not advised if the boat is equipped with a shift interrupter, if it is that could be all of your problems.

No shift interupter xtraham. Did see your PM thanks.

WizeOne

Commander

... but usually resizing so the base plate is adjustable will let you get it right on the money ....

If I understand you right dolluper, that is what I am working on.

dolluper

Captain

That's right the base plate where yoy dropped the hall mod on it had 2 screws that held in in place ...expand the screw openings so it is adjustable Then play till it's right one direction then the other......then loctite it when right

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

If I understand you right dolluper, that is what I am working on.

Damm your the most stubborn ......... So your alignment was correct...Wize one plz do you have a block id post it...By the way Phasing is the flow of electrons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_phase#Phase_difference

Two oscillators that have the same frequency and different phases have a phase difference, and the oscillators are said to be out of phase with each other. The amount by which such oscillators are out of step with each other can be expressed in degrees from 0? to 360?, or in radians from 0 to 2π. If the phase difference is 180 degrees (π radians), then the two oscillators are said to be in antiphase. If two interacting waves meet at a point where they are in antiphase, then destructive interference will occur. It is common for waves of electromagnetic (light, RF), acoustic (sound) or other energy to become superimposed in their transmission medium. When that happens, the phase difference determines whether they reinforce or weaken each other. Complete cancellation is possible for waves with equal amplitudes.

amplitudes do not a dam thing to do with TIMING.......:p

Look into capatiance ....:D

dolluper

Captain

Tg don't confuse him with out of space stuff this is mechanical not rocket science.....though some people think so;;;gives the shops more and more money

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey Wize, Can't leave us hangin like this, Did you get it sorted out?