Possible bad fuel? Ethanol problem?

7501sl

Cadet
So I was out rebuilding the fuel pump on my 89 force 85hp due to the sheer fact that i didnt know when it was last looked at when I noticed how odd the fuel color looked. When I put it away last summer it was at about 3/4 of a tank of gas when I put in the appropriate amount of Stabil (didnt top it off as I should have). I also have a fuel/water seperator installed with a fresh canister filter on it. My question is is this color normal or is it the infamous adverse effects of ethanol that ive been hearing about at work? Idle seems a tad rougher then I remember but I had attributed this to decarbing without replacing plugs out yet. Thanks for any input

Attachments

• DSCF0886.jpg
    DSCF0886.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Possible bad fuel? Ethanol problem?

Ahhh! Are you SURE you put oil in it? TCW-3 is usually blue or green and will color the gas a nice tint at 50-1. If you are not sure, add the correct amount of oil. Even doubled at 25-1, it will not hurt the engine. It will smoke a bit more, but that's not too bad compared to a rebuild.

Ethanol --even old gas with ethanol will not decolorise the oil. I never used Stabil (snake-oil) so I don't know if it will decolorise.

7501sl

Cadet

Ahhh! Are you SURE you put oil in it? TCW-3 is usually blue or green and will color the gas a nice tint at 50-1. If you are not sure, add the correct amount of oil. Even doubled at 25-1, it will not hurt the engine. It will smoke a bit more, but that's not too bad compared to a rebuild.

Ethanol --even old gas with ethanol will not decolorise the oil. I never used Stabil (snake-oil) so I don't know if it will decolorise.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Im certain Ive mixed in TCW-3 at 50:1. The motor smokes like usual while running. Although the fuel mixture itself doesnt smell bad/sour, the green color of it bothers me. I couldnt find anything online that states that Stabil will change the color of fuel. I think I'll go ahead and drain the tank, carbs, etc anyway......why chance it?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sure don't look like any oil in there.What kind of oil do you use?
Like Frank says most oils change the gas to blue.Stabil won't change it to that color.J

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinking that you and I have the same darn boat :)

My old gas is that exact same color - I'll pull some out and show you a pic later. Mine has been in the tank for maybe 2-3 years and so I have topped up the tank with Premium gas at 40:1 just to be safe and am burning it all off - the engine runs just fine on it, just a bit smokey. Being an old carb design they are not picky about the fuel quality but I have added a filter to be safe. Mine is the 125 but that's basically an 85 with an extra cylinder.

7501sl

Cadet

Sure don't look like any oil in there.What kind of oil do you use?
Like Frank says most oils change the gas to blue.Stabil won't change it to that color.J

Ive been using a Cheap-O brand thats called Mag 1 Marine 2 stroke oil (non-synthetic). If I recall correctly it was $11 for a gallon. I mix the oil with gas five gallons at a time so I know it was a blue when I poured it in last summer but green now. I'll start using a good synthetic now. Probably quiksilver premium or amsoil.

7501sl

Cadet

I'm thinking that you and I have the same darn boat :)

My old gas is that exact same color - I'll pull some out and show you a pic later. Mine has been in the tank for maybe 2-3 years and so I have topped up the tank with Premium gas at 40:1 just to be safe and am burning it all off - the engine runs just fine on it, just a bit smokey. Being an old carb design they are not picky about the fuel quality but I have added a filter to be safe. Mine is the 125 but that's basically an 85 with an extra cylinder.

I just drained the tank today extracting about 12 gallons of fuel all of it the same greenish color. I probably could have just burned it off in the outboard as you are doing but prefer just to use it in my yard equipment and use fresh premix for my force:cool:

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have another way to use it then that's great - disposing of 12 gallons otherwise is a real PITA.

I certainly wouldn't use it in an engine that has injection, lamda sensors and catalytic converters but for these old OBs and garden equipment it will be fine - you can always dilute it with fresh gas if you are worried.