force 75 online vs manual and ??

jbp84

Cadet
i finally got a force manual for my 1998 engine. today i decided to go do some trouble shooting to find this skipping/surging that comes and goes. i cut the tie rap someone put on it to bundle the wiring to diagnose at the bullet connectors i notice they didnt come apart as a cut away the rubber clear covers a yellow wire from the stator to the voltage regulator at the connector was char black. i cut the connectors off skinned the wires back about to butt connect the wiring back the wires to the stator was charred while the other side to the v reg was ok nice and silver. my next test was to check the stator resistance heres where my ? is. the book says the resistance between my grn/wht wire to wht/grn should be 500-600 ohm on a aftermarket outboard part site it shows 500-700ohm my reads were 694-701ohms. so is the stator failing or is it good.

my next question is while spinning the engine to check voltage coming from the trigger with the blk/wht wire disconnected checking each trigger wire the engine all the sudden fired off i could smell gas and the engine idled up i knew the engine was about to try and run away i immediately smothered the car with a book and shut right off i did have the plug wires hooked up dumby me but thought the blk/wht at the bullet connector was disconnect and the kill swith was if the off position why did it crank then?

thanks in advance for any help this boat has really whooped me i took it to one mechanice who found nothing wrong the second guy i took it to left my boat outside in the rain for a week and took it in when he was two weeks behind :mad:

jbp84

Cadet
Re: force 75 online vs manual and ??

Well I bought a clymer manual it and some aftermarket sites reading conflicted so today I found a oem force manual. Wish me luck
also I check my stator my wht/grn grn/wht was 695 ohm hot was 720. When I ohmed my two yellow wires going to the regulator they showed closed circuit. Should it read that one those two yellow wires?