Tiller handle

Phon

Cadet
I got a motor from a buddy with an eletric start looking to convert it over to a tiller handle it's a 1979 200 20 hp short shaft looking for a tiller handle but not sure of lenght required, also the shifter is at the side of the motor so do I just get the tiller handle with just the rev or does it not matter? Will the newer style with controls work also sorry about an amature question! Thanks for any replies.

mc66

Seaman
Re: Tiller handle

The tiller handle from 1976 to 1980 should be the same. i have a 1978 200 20hp merc and the motor has everything for both applacations accept the tiller handle it self. there is ablock off part filling in where tiller handle goes. I measured a tiller handle for a 76 merc 20 (200) it is 14 inches long and would work on my 1978 if needed the handle says shift , start ,and fast positions.If you have bloch off where tiller would go take it off should be a gear under it if so tiller handle has another easy conversion as long as you match trottle positions correctly. Go to crowley marine great site look up your motor get part #. They might even have it . You can look at other years and compare part #s to see what years are the same.