Couple of questions

smax

Cadet
I have a 1989 Force 85hp on a 1977 16' basscat bass boat. Currently I have a baddly beaten 21p aluminum prop and I am getting 35mph(gps), but I don't have a tach so I don't with the RPM is. I have an inductive pick up tach and I am wondering if this will work on the Force since the 20 pole tachs are hard to find? I also found a descent deal on a 19p stainless prop, but I was wondering if stainless would be too much for the 85hp?

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Couple of questions

Yes an inductive tach will work as long as you can find somewhere on the flywheel to mount the sensor (probably a hall effect magnet).

Stainless is fine for the prop - just be aware that if you are likely to anywhere near to where you may prop hit, then SS will break/shatter whereas aluminum just bends - thus SS is way more expensive to repair.

Until you know your revs it's pointless experimenting with props - you need to know your revs at WOT with the 21p - if they are close to max then you are risking it by decreasing to a 19p. 2 strokes will rev and rev beyond their 'max revs' but you are then outside of the power band and it does nothing for your fuel consumption!

smax

Cadet

I think the 21p is bogging the engine. The tach I have actually has a sensor that clamps on a plug wire. I will go ahead and test it and see what I get. The tach is just sitting in the garage anyway.

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, it should work as I don't think the Force works on a lost spark ignition system so as long as the tach can be set for 2 stroke and not 4 stroke you should be good to go. Let us know how you get on.

smax

Cadet

Well with the beat up 21p I'm get 35mph at 4500 rpm's. Should I get the 19 stainless or get a 17 aluminum?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I don't use anything but stainless--but, of course, I don't make it a practice to go banging them into rocks. The one time I did, it cost me 90 bucks to repair the prop and I was also left with half a skeg.

That said, Force engines like stainless and generally do much better with them. If the prop you are looking at is NOT cupped, then you can expect about 600-800 RPM more from the 19 pitch and probably a couple of MPH more. 17 pitch aluminum will raise RPM about the same but I suspect you will find a drop in top speed.

While the 21 pitch is not bogging your engine--operating range at WOT is 4500-5500-- you are at the bottom of the range. These engines run better at or near the top of the range.

smax

Cadet

Ok, sorry it took so long to get back. I got the tach working and got the new 19p ss prop on the boat. I am now running 40-41(gps) at 5100 rpms. The boat has a much better hole shot and pulls pretty good from part throttle cruise to wot.