Johnson/Evinrude Guy looking to buy a Mercury

borz80

Seaman Apprentice
Im looking at a 1983 100 hp 6 cylinder outboard. It has tilt/trim but hasnt been run in a year but came off a running boat. What do I need to know a mercs that is different from johnson/evinrude. I have always been told to stay away from mercury esp. the older ones. I just want to get the inside scoop from people that run mercs. Any insight would be helpful. Also how much would a motor like this go for?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson/Evinrude Guy looking to buy a Mercury

Double check your cylinder count and hp as Merc did not make a 6 cylinder 100 in 1983. If it is a 100 and a 6 cylinder its in the late 60's to early 70's...

borz80

Seaman Apprentice

The guy that has it isnt sure what year it is he thinks its in the 80's. I do know that the color writing is in red, and with johnson/evinrude they change their colors for the decades of motors, does this help

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

I can't remember all the details but I do know that older merc's have red bands and in the 70's they went to blue bands. Best to check the serial number for year. There are lots of places on the internet for identifying the year. Prices depend on lots of things, where you're at is one of them. I've seen motors like you're talking about go everywhere from $800 to $2000 but generally the price range is $800-1200... and you usually can get a free boat with an old one.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The red band Merc went up until '71-'72 roughly.

It's not an 80s model, that much is certain.

borz80

Seaman Apprentice

So if I can get for 250-300 should i do it? and how are these motors compared to johnson/evinrude. DO you guys like them better or should I stick with my 85 hp johnson from 1973