Out of options

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Hello,
The last 3 weekends I took my boat out to try and fix my steering. It pulls to the right due to the props rotation. My trim tab was center line and it took all I had to keep the wheel straight. I moved the rear of the trim tab to the left which angled it right. Just to verify, if I am behind the boat looking at the motor, the trim tab should angled starboard? When I did this it helped a little bit, Trimmed up the motor and that helped a little bit. But still if I let go of the wheel, the boat will do tight circles. Equivalent to a muscle car doing donuts in a parking lot. The previous owner somehow knocked of the skeg and there isn't much left. If I get this repaired will it make a difference?
Boat repair_0005A.JPG
Any help would be great,
Tom

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Out of options

Tom;

It is difficult to see in that picture but is that a long shaft engine and does it fit your transom height? Obviously the skeg repair is going to help but if the engine is too deep, it is adding to your woes.

Gerry

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

And yes, the skeg makes a big difference - bit like the vertical stabilizer on an airplane - won't fly without it. You can buy a bolt-on replacement skeg.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

FIRST: Understand the relationship of the engine nto hull direction.

When turning, the engine moves in the opposite direction of the hull. That is, if you turn the wheel to the right, the front of the engine will point left while the rear and prop wash will point right, thus pushing the transom to the left and the bow to the right. (Much simplified)

The trim tab works just like trim tabs on an airplane in that a small input causes a larger output. when the trim tab is angled one direction, it tends to force the engine in the other direction. THUS : if the boat is turning right, you want the rear of the engine to turn left to counter it. SO, the rear of the trim tab should be angled to the right. L:eek:oking from the rear of the boat, the trim tab should angle from right to left.

NOW: because the prop torque will vary ( sometimes quite a bit) with angle and depth in the water, the trim tab setting is really only perfect for one engine tilt trim setting. Typically, with full trim in, steering will get very heavy and the boat will pull in one direction. As you feed in out or up trim, steering will get lighter and the boat will tend to get straighter. STEERING trim (tab) should be set with the hull on plane and the engine trimmed out to best running position.