I hate my motor!!!

hogginhank

Seaman
Well I posted up a week or so ago and I have finally got a few hours to start the process of replacing my water pump and thermostat.. Well I am at a stopping point just a little ways into it. As someone said , I have the service manual by CLYMER and I can say now that I want to burn it!! I have replaced a lot of small outboard impellers up to a 35 hp evinrude..I found linkage on the rest but this one is kicking my butt bigtime.. The manual doesn't have anything on step by step procedures..

With that said, incase you ask, I have a 1995 E50 DTLEOS 50HP - 3cylinder evinrude. I took off the prop, drained the lower unit and the 4 main bolts are off. I took out the pinion gear retaining screw(It really doesn't say ANYTHING about needing to remove this or not??) and it seems like it is bolted tight still. Some gentle taps with a board and hammer show no signs of movement.. Does anyone have any tips or info that will save me from having a stroke over this dadgum motor..Thanks in advance.. Hank

DamianJP

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I hate my motor!!!

Hello Hank

Linkage release should be below carbs in the engine cowling area. Kinda in a tight spot. I haven't worked on 90's evinrudes yet but all the late 80's iv'e worked on had them in this spot.

Heres your schematics for your engine, hit the gearcase section to give you an idea of what your working with in this project.
http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/5236.cfm

Also I think theres 4 mains but mabey 1 or 2 or mabey more bolts to the rear of the Lower Unit. Check the zinc sometimes theres a bolt under that. Look under the cavitation plate area too.

Lemme know what happens,
DamianJP

Jayrock

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The title of the you're thread should read, " I hate my Manual!' The motor has no fault in the fact that a Clymer book is absolutely useless.

hogginhank

Seaman

I agree kenmyfam.. I need to get a better manual.. I did find the needed info online and got it figured out. My only issue now is getting out the broken bolts that are stuck in the lower unit.. Had a few break off and I am about to head out and get the last one out.. Thanks for the links..

Your right jayrock.. I HATE that manual and I think I'm going to sell it or use it for the camp fire :)
I still hate my motor a little..Thank the lord that I have some mechanical skills and can save the $75 an hour labor rates by fixing it myself.. Besides when I'm done with these boat projects I show my wife what it would have cost if I sent it out and compare it to what I actually spent..Thats how I try and VALIDATE all the new tools I bought for the project..I think she is getting tired of this by now, but it sure if fun to see that "Whatever" look she gives me when I present her with the numbers.. It makes me smile..Thanks again for all the replies.. This forum is hands down the best for info and there seems to be so many folks that step and help..Have a great day..Off to weld and drill...Hank

Here's a link to something that might help you.
By the way, Clymer manuals are a poor substitute for toilet paper and a lot less absorbent.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309188

hogginhank

Seaman

Yep. There were some hidden bolts that were kicking my but.. I cant believe I didn't print out the schematic before I started. I work on fishing reels as a part time gig and I NEVER tear a real down(that is new to me) before I study the schematic. Lesson learned on this one..

I do have a question for kenmyfam..By the way, your write up in that link you posted was really awesome. I wish I would have read it before I jumped in..What is the easiest way to set the impellor on that wedge key. I was told to put it in place over the wedge then just get the housing and put a little pressure and twist and it will go right on??Not sure how you do it so I will ask before I get to that part. I know its not rocket science but all the little tricks seem to make things so much easier..I'm guessing a little bit of grease on that wedge will hold it in place when you put the housing with the impellor over it?? Any tip would be great.. Thanks again.. Great thread..Your thread should be a "Sticky" if it isn't already..Hank

hogginhank

Seaman

I think they gave me the wrong o-ring??
24A.png

#83 and #67 o-rings look to be about the same size in this schematic and the ones in my kit are black and brown but the o-ring on the old housing between the liner and housing is about 1.25" across that fits in that groove?? Whats up with this? Did they leave one out or give me the wrong one??

hogginhank

Seaman

any input on the o-ring situation? I couldn't figure out where the other small o ring went so I just rebuilt the new housing with an o-ring from my o-ring box that was the same size as the recessed area on the housing between the metal liner and plastic housing?? I guess if it was like that before it should work again?? I guess I will find out tomorrow when I get home from work and hook it up to the muffs..Thanks in advance for any thought or input on this...Hank

hogginhank

Seaman

Got it done.. Idles better and throws water like a fire hydrant..Gonna take the boat out Tuesday for a spin to see how it works..Some video..<object width="224" height="400" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/2006202001244" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/2006202001244" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="224" height="400"></embed></object>