How Much Water Out of Water Outlet? 1970 85HP V4

smoke14

Cadet
I recently replaced my lower unit, water pump and housing. Water tested engine in a
tub it ran good seems to only spit out water, not a constant stream. Took boat to the lake ran the motor for a few minutes on the lake and it ran strong very good. I thought that after it warmed up and the thermostat opened up the water flow would be better than just spitting out the water outlets. My question is should there be more flow out the water outlets? The motor is not overheating it runs very good, maybe I'm being paranoid :eek:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: How Much Water Out of Water Outlet? 1970 85HP V4

The older crossflows with the single thermostat (vernatherm) don't have a good indicator that water is flowing inside the block. The overboard telltale did not come out till 1978. Your engine does have a simple indication of water flow: On a cold engine, start it and let it idle. Hold your palm behind the two exhaust relief ports at the top of the midsection. After about a minute, the thermosat will open. When it does, small water droplets will form on your palm. That's no indication of relative pressure, only that the water is moving in the block and that the stat has opened-all good signs.