Which oil to break in new rings XD-30 or 50?

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It coming close to the time when I will be starting up the new resto built 1987 225hp Evinrude. VRO bypassed and run premixed. Trying to figure out which oil to use on breaking it in. The fuel unfortunately will be 10% ethenol (no non-ethenol gas around) with BRP 2+4 Fuel Conditioner , along with BRP Carbon Guard and BRP fuel system cleaner.

Basically I want to treat the gas for the ethenol issue and the motor for carbon build up and the fuel system (carbs) for a cleaning for anythign I missed.

So my question is what oil to use. I am using the BRP branded oils but should I use xd-30 (non synthetic) or xd-50 (blended synthetic) Will the xd-50 ruin the breakin?

Other option is the first 6 gallons I could use a portable tank with the xd-30 premixed and then switch over to the main tank (82 gallons premixed) with xd-50.

Eventually I will probably run the xd-50 or xd-100 to keep down on the fumes. That will be a mater of cost later. Right now cost is not the factor.

Also if I can get 91 octane gas that is non ethenol blended should I use it for break in period? Or will it run too hot.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.

PS. for those who are following the resto thread, Bay Mfg is shipping out the extention kit by the end of the week. So the end is near!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Which oil to break in new rings XD-30 or 50?

Use the oil you plan to use after breakin, but not terribly critical.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

It coming close to the time when I will be starting up the new resto built 1987 225hp Evinrude. VRO bypassed and run premixed. Trying to figure out which oil to use on breaking it in. The fuel unfortunately will be 10% ethenol (no non-ethenol gas around) with BRP 2+4 Fuel Conditioner , along with BRP Carbon Guard and BRP fuel system cleaner.

Basically I want to treat the gas for the ethenol issue and the motor for carbon build up and the fuel system (carbs) for a cleaning for anythign I missed.

So my question is what oil to use. I am using the BRP branded oils but should I use xd-30 (non synthetic) or xd-50 (blended synthetic) Will the xd-50 ruin the breakin?

Other option is the first 6 gallons I could use a portable tank with the xd-30 premixed and then switch over to the main tank (82 gallons premixed) with xd-50.

Eventually I will probably run the xd-50 or xd-100 to keep down on the fumes. That will be a mater of cost later. Right now cost is not the factor.

Also if I can get 91 octane gas that is non ethenol blended should I use it for break in period? Or will it run too hot.

Any and all thoughts welcomed.

PS. for those who are following the resto thread, Bay Mfg is shipping out the extention kit by the end of the week. So the end is near!

Octane does not cause fuel to burn hotter. It burns at the same temperature regardless of octane. Higher octane is ONLY more resistant to pre-detonation. If you have a high compression motor you need it, otherwise it will make no difference.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Motor is a low pressure (compression) looper motor. So will it be a problem?

I was talking with Shell Oil Rep today, Plan on buying gas at local pumps, and they stated that their regular grade is E10, mid grade is E5, and the hign grade has no ethenol. I just I do run a ton of gass in this boat (82 gal internal) tank, so the gas tends to sit 2-4 weeks at a time untill fishing season start to heat up. Then I start burning through the gas. So I want to limit the ethenol issue for breakin (First tank).

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok seeing there has been no response. I'll clairify my question. Can I use xd-50 for the break in of this motor? It is a semi synthetic oil.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

checked my manual, doesn't get specific. States to keep it under 1/4 throttle, mix 50:1 for non VRO, 100:1 for VRO. Use TC-W grade oil (duh). It does say to check w/owners manual for your particular engine. I'm guessing there will be no difference in the types you are considering, but if you are concerned, go with the fancy stuff!

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have heard you want to NOT use synthetic during break in because it will make the break in take longer and the rings won't set as well. I am certainly no expert though...

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

though semi synthetic would probably be better than full synth

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Most of us avoid anything having to do with these threads because people have such strong opinions on oil, break-in, and ethanol. You asked about the 3 most controversial issues all in one thread. Thus, you are going to get alot of opinions.

That engine was designed to run on the old XD-25. SO, if it was mine, for break in, I would use the oil that closest resembles what old OMC used during that time period: XD-30 for break-in. Then after you get broken in and the rings well seated, I would agree that I would change to XD-50 or XD-100 to reduce your smoking and decrease carbon build up on the plugs.

I get real scared when I hear people running a bunch of additional fuel additives ON TOP of ethanol. Keep in mine that most of those fuel additives are solvents. Ethanol by itself in high enough concentrations washes oil from the cylinders, so in your case, I would opt for non-ethanol to be safe. I agree with the above poster- high octane reduces pre-ignition. It will not harm your outboard (although that outboard was designed to run on 87 octane).

To summarize- I would break-in with XD-30 (which the outboard was designed for), then switch to XD-50 long term. For fuel, I would stay away from 87 octane E-10 ethanol- the 91-92 octane fuel cannot hurt your engine.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the reply. I did not know what the original oil was back in 1988. I was only 14 at the time and was still thinking only about girls...... So now that I am older, and still thinking about women, I trying to figure out what I need.

Thanks for the tibit of info reguarding what was originally used. That was what I was looking for. So I'll go with the high test and the xd-30. I'll also through in so fuel stabalizer for safe measure.

Thanks