mounting outboard question

ohfishcat

Seaman Apprentice
hi im trying to put this togeather,,,,,,i bought a mercury 650/65 hp,,,,and i need to mount it on the boat,,,,,,but the holes on the boat are different than the motor,,,,both are 8 inches height wise,,but the widths are different,,,the boat is like 12/13 in apart on top and 10 in apart on bottom,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the motor holes are like 9.5 apart on top and 8 inches apart on bottom,,,didnt know if teres suppose to be a plate or?

does any one know what i need to do,,, is this normal ?any responses appreciated thank you

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mounting outboard question

fill in the old motor holes that motor has 2 clamps on it tighten them down you should be good then

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You have the old Merc bolt pattern on the motor and the newer universal bolt pattern on the boat. Fill the holes on the boat and install two 3/8" Stainless carriage bolts into the lower square bolt holes in the transom bracket of that Merc. Use some caulk to seal all holes up.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

TW - if you just use the two clamps as was suggested, the motor will likely fall off the transom......

merc850

Commander

TW - if you just use the two clamps as was suggested, the motor will likely fall off the transom......
Yes it surely will!! There are two more holes in the clamp bracket that you can see when the motor is tilted up; these can also be bolted. I have the same hole problem and a boat builder friend says to use wooden dowels and epoxy them in, making sure to cover the ends in epoxy or gel coat to match your transom. This is a good time to see if the transom wood is wet.

Mi duckdown

Commander

I would do what merc850 suggested.
Just make sure when you drill the new holes, that the angle is correct to the transom.