1990 evinrude 40 fuel problems

Hunt82

Recruit
Well I've been stumped and needed some help on this. I have a 1990 40hp evinrude vro model# e40 elesr. Previously the vro pump went out and I've rebuilt the motor and completely removed the vro pump. Now I've installed a new fuel pump from Sierra that bolts to the engine and I know it's the right pump but don't have the part number on hand. To get to the problem, I installed the new pump ran my hose from the tank and then my out fuel line goes into the top of the plastic fitting that has three more lines off of that. 2 of which go to the carbs and one that goes to the electric choke all hooked up. 2 more hoses come from the electric choke and go into the top of both carbs now the engine will start but only if we choke it by putting our hand over the carbs will it run but rough. Now moving over to the electric choke part. With the red lever down it seems to not be getting enough gas but switching the lever up it drowns the carbs with gas either way it runs like crap and won't run on it's own. I'm thinking maybe it's the carbs but we pulled them off and they looked very clean. I'm thinking I hooked things up correctly but any help would be greatly appreciated!

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1990 evinrude 40 fuel problems

The red lever on your primer is for starting. with the lever up it will feed fuel to the carbs like crazy. Once you start it in this postion you need to flip it down. Down is the "automatic" position. If memory serves, you should be able to depress your key and it will activate the primer solenoid for you. I leave mine down all the time and have a separate swtich to activate it for a cold start. If the engine has been sitting for a while you definitely need to take the carbs off and soak them in a good cleaner and blow everything out with compressed air. It might be something as simple a needle valve sticking in one of your carbs but you won't know until they have been totally cleaned.

Hunt82

Recruit

Thanks I'll try that. Although I'm Thinking it's not the carbs I guess that would be the easiest place to start. Does it sound like I have everything hooked up correctly?

Hunt82

Recruit

Well cleaned carbs and put the air box back on ran better but still rough and won't idle on low side, still seems to not be getting enough gas. I've checked everything over and seems to be ok. I'm not sure what the screws on the side of the carbs need to set at but I have them three turns out. Could it possibly need re-jetting? Also I keep thinking about this but from what I recal is the fly wheel is keyed and would only go back on one way. So how do you adjust the timing? My brother seemed to think it shouldn't need re timed since it was put back on the same way it came off. Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

fireman57

Captain

Do a search here for link and sync for your carbs. Sounds like one butterfly is not opening/closing at the proper time. follow the steps exactly and don't skip any. If you have an OEM manual it will be in there.