Quick wiring question/problem

tomn3

Seaman
Have a trailer that came with the used boat. Trailer and wire appear to be in great shape. When plugged in to the van I get no lights on the trailer.
Tested ground at the van harness-good. Tested voltage at the van pins for each light-good.
Tested trailer ground at bulb -good. Tested trailer wiring with power supply-lights light.
Tested ground from van to trailer when mated - good.

Jumpered across for the tail lights - worked.

Plug is hard to mate but appears to be seated.

???
Any ideas?

Thanks

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral
Re: Quick wiring question/problem

you need to check that your plug is seating to the jack completely did you verify that you have the right jack/plug? 5 round and 6 round look identical until you count the pins, not knowing what you have its difficult to determine anything though so what plug do you have? 4 flat, 5 round, 6 round or 7 RV? what you got!!

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

What are you using to test it? if you have power at your female on the van, check as close to the plug as you can...if nothing its the plug...I find where I have power and continue back until I have nothing...Then there is your problem...No power at the harness on the van that's another story...:eek:

Brewman61

Ensign

Did you check both plugs for possible corrosion? I get that on my truck's connector all the time. Keeps the lights off till I clean it then it works again.

tomn3

Seaman

Thanks all. It's a flat 4 on both sides. Corrosion could be a problem. How do you clean those sockets?

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

4 flat, replace them much easier to replace them then to clean them in fact thats why they sell them in bulk packs, they are the worst trailer connector ever. the good side is they are the easiest to replace, after 25 years of vehicle electrical work I think these connectors come from the factory with corrosion(kind of kidding) I don't know what it is about 4 flats but they just corrode horribly!

so the first thing I would do in your case is replace the 4 flat on both sides vehicle and trailer, then see what happens, remember to verify lights and ground before you put the new connector on the vehicle side just to make sure and then let us know what you find!

if you feel up to it you can upgrade to a 5 round now for a bit more money and a longer lasting connector but its up to you.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you ever check the bulbs themselves? And check the ground at the tongue on the trailer side. Are the sockets grounded to the trailer or is there a ground wire going to each one?

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Before you start to replace anything....verfiy the trailer lights work on another vehicle first. If the trailer is fine on another vehicle, you know your van is jacked up. If the trailer still doesn't perform as desired on the test vehicle...then the trailer is jacked up.

K.I.S.S.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

4 flat, replace them much easier to replace them then to clean them in fact thats why they sell them in bulk packs, they are the worst trailer connector ever.

WHAT???
Don't listen to that money bag!
Be a cheapskate like me, LOL.

On my flat four connectors, once in a while I have to push a small center punch or similar into the center of the male terminals.
This expands them a bit so they bite good when connected with the female connectors.
Use a fine wire brush and scrub them shiney again.
Use a drill bit to ream out the corrosion in the female terminals (by hand). Might have to use pliers to squeeze them down a bit tighter.
Not to hard or they will collapse.
Spray terminals with some spray grease.

The terminals on the five, six and seven ways can also be manipulated to get a better bite too.
They might use a good polishing with some emery cloth too.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Well in my defense and to not hijack horribly when I got my 2000 F350 Powerstroke brand new I drove it for a year before I ever needed the factory installed 4 flat since all my trailers were already wired for my 7 RV, well just by chance I went to tow my buddies trailer with a 4 flat and when I unplugged the factory cover for my 4 flat 3 of the four female sockets were filled with green corrosion, I don't mean covering the metal I mean the female sockets were FILLED! I had never seen anything like it before (not the corrosion but THAT MUCH corrosion) so after cleaning the corrosion out I found the metal to be nearly completely dissolved in the female sockets and the one male was gone, never to be seen again.

So I am a bit biased but don't kill me!!

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate four flats...Every trailer I have owned or used at work with a four flat I converted to a round 4 or a RV 7 style...The line in my signature is my way of doing things...Build it better and never have to replace it...:eek: