losing voltage

cc19

Recruit
Hello, I have an 87 century with a 230/v8 merc with a tbolt4 ignition, when tested, I have 10 volts at the pos. side of the coil. I have replaced the coil, sensor,battery, wires, plugs,alternator,distrib. cap and rotor, ignition switch. oil and filter, oil/water seperator, fuel filter. When I remove the wire from the pos. side of the coil, it has 12 volts,the ign. switch then has 12 volts, as soon as I reconnect the tbolt4 to the coil it drops to 10 volts and wont start. Sometimes it will read 12 volts and then it will start and run no problem. As you can tell I am no mechanic, but before I replaced the tbolt4 which is kind of pricey I was hoping you could help. Thank you <br />CC

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: losing voltage

Look for corrosion. That can limit conductivity when under a load, but show good voltage when removed from the load. Remove the main electric harness connection and look in there first.

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: losing voltage

Check for crossed wires, I had a similar problem and found out that fuse box was rusted and one wire (connection I should say) was crossing. You loose power only when demand is high, idle is fine right?