will a mercruiser 120 pull a skier or wakeborder?

WellcraftDan

Recruit
im just curious to see if any other merc 120 owners actually use the boat to ski. I know its not an ideal engine at all for the job but will it even do it? by the way i have a 17'8" open bow wellcraft roughly 2000 lbs.

thanks everyone!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: will a mercruiser 120 pull a skier or wakeborder?

As long as you are remotely in the correct range of prop pitch and the boat isn't too overloaded (and runs well), I don't think you should have a problem. I pulled a skier in a 20' bowrider with a crappy VP 140hp.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Oh no, a mercruiser 120 won't even even get on a plane with 1 person on board much less pull anyone, You need at least a 5.7 if you want to pull a skier.

Sorry, feeling sarcastic after wrestling all night to pull my catalytic converter off my car and want to head off these types of responses.

A lot of it depends on the skill level of the rider and the speed/weight/load on the boat. It will be a little more difficult to get up if you have 5 people on board and a skier behind because the longer time to get the boat on a plane also means that it takes longer to get the skier/wakeboarder up on a plane as well. A better skier can get up quicker and a faster boat will get up quicker (although that can have some drawbacks as well).

But the short answer is, yes, you shouldn't have much problem with that motor unless your boat is dog slow to begin with.

shout

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 130 HP mercruiser in a 20' cuddy, I can pull a wakeboarder or skier, but only if the passengers are up front with me, doesn't work if anyone is at the stern, hope that helps,
- shout

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Dad's 17' '87 Winner bowrider with the 4-banger (120, 130, 140???), with 4 adults, would struggle to pull my 10 and 6 year old girls on a tube. None of us are fat, or even big boned. With same folks all inside, it would struggle to even plane. Propped correctly, running perfectly. THIS boat is what prompted me to buy a v-8 powered boat. So to answer your question...I doubt it, unless its just you and the anorexic skier, on perfect glass water, from a 'sitting on the dock' start position, with a tail wind, and a following current.

BUT...if you have read the thread about "what's the weakest thing you've skied behind?", you would see that people ski behind 9hp canoes. So anything is possible i guess.

dwco5051

Commander

Back in the early 70s I had a 17' Crownline with a 120 Mercruiser and we skied with it all summer. We almost always pulled 2 skiers behind it and sometimes three if they were on two skis rather than slalom. Yes it was a little slow getting up but forty years ago we were in much better shape than we are today. We skied at least three or four evenings a week and on weekends when we weren't motocrossing. Back then I think I was the heaviest of any one of the guys at 165 and the rest were about 10 or 15 pounds lighter. I don't think any of our ladies back then went over 105 so the combination of lighter weights and better physical shape helped a lot. I used the same prop for skiing and cruising but my oldest daughter did have a ski prop for her 15 1/2' Crestline with a 70 hp Johnson.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think you'll be able to do it if it's propped right. Maybe not ideal but throw it in the water and find out for yourself!

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

I had a 16 footer with a 120 pull me up on skis! Very doable with right pitch and weight

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

I ski, wakeboard, whatever behind a 20foot with a 3.0 (140HP) with 4 adults on board without any problem. One thing I will say helps is the smart tabs. I didn't really try any sports before I had them on, but they definitely help keep the nose level, help get up to speed quicker and I don't necessarily need to move people around or worry about weight distribution as much.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Now WTF? I posted this same question regarding my 1985 Bayliner bowrider w/ 85hp Force o/b pulling my 110 lb. son on a wakeboard. I was told "No problem", I'm not going to have 5 other people in the boat (not that much room anyway), But several people commented that it won't be an issue. With what your using I would think you should have a lot easier time than I'll have. I guess talking about it on a forum & being on the water with the boat are two different thing's no matter what anyone say's. Like someone commented before, get it out on the lake & see how it go's. Post up what happens, it'll be awhile before I hit the water this year. Got the deck out + temps are in the low 30's (air temps).

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Now WTF? I posted this same question regarding my 1985 Bayliner bowrider w/ 85hp Force o/b pulling my 110 lb. son on a wakeboard. I was told "No problem", I'm not going to have 5 other people in the boat (not that much room anyway), But several people commented that it won't be an issue. With what your using I would think you should have a lot easier time than I'll have.

Two different boats, two vastly different powerplants. (torquey 2 stroke vs a fairly inefficient large displacement but low hp 4 stroke.)

He has A LOT more weight, and not much more power. The bayliner hull is very light compared to a wellcraft, and there is probably 500 pounds difference in the drivetrain. That is alot of weight sitting on the stern.

I have wakeboarded, skied/slalomed behind your exact boat, and absolutely no problems. Deepwater slalom starts are a pain, you will suck a lot of water so its easier just doing a beach start or dropping. Wakeboarding, not a problem.

E_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WellcraftDan,

You may notice that some people say you won't have an issue and others say you will. However, not one has asked you weather you have a deep-v hull or a flatter bottom hull. This does factor in as one of the variables as it determines how fast you will be able to get on plain - the flatter the faster (in ideal conditions). In my opinion, you shouldn't have an issue but try to keep your passengers to a minimum and place them closer to the bow. Furthermore, try to ensure that you have installed a lower-pitched prop; this should focus more on "getting out of the hole" and on plain as opposed to being able to reach a higher maximum speed when on plain. More specifically, a 17' prop should be sufficient or if you are serious about water sports as opposed to cruising at higher speeds then you can even go to 16' or lower. Finally, try to remove any unnecessary items in the boat that have significant weight.

Let me know how it goes!

P.S. I used to pull a tube with a 190lbs rider effortlessly with my 40hp 14' Crestliner.

WellcraftDan

Recruit

thank you everyone for all of your input!

I'm in the process of having the head worked on now, should have it back by Friday! If next weekends temps permit it ill be taking it out to get it dialed in. ill take pictures if all goes well!!

Chaz7R

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 17.5 bowrider with a 135hp merc. I usually run a 19p prop for cruising and it keeps my wot around 4600 rpm at about 43 on the gps with 4 people aboard. I put a 15p prop on if im going to be tubing or kneeboarding with a bunch of people on board. Last summer I had 2 adults and 4 teens in the boat and it pulled kneeboarders right out of the water and planed very quickly, only problem is speed at 4600 rpm is only 34 on the speedo and will overrev easily if you are not careful.