stringer 800 tilt problem

hey folks. hope someone can help me out. got a stringer 800 in a 1976 sea ray. tilt didn't work so a buddy and me did some troubleshooting and found a bad solenoid. replaced the solenoid and still nothing but clicking. figured it was the motor so bought new one (oem) off e-bay, put it in still nothing. got a new toggle switch, same result. in the seloc manual the wiring diagram shows an assist solenoid. could this be the problem? ready to pull what hair i have left out. any advice would be great. thanks.

superbenk

Commander
Re: stringer 800 tilt problem

Sounds bound up somewhere. This problem has been covered a bunch of times if you search in here.

if by bound up you mean the clutch, worm gear etc. it is all removed so nothing is stopping the motor from turning.the only thing hooked up is switch, solenoids and motor.

superbenk

Commander

if by bound up you mean the clutch, worm gear etc. it is all removed so nothing is stopping the motor from turning.the only thing hooked up is switch, solenoids and motor.

Do you have the motor wired up but not installed into the intermediate? Have you tried applying direct power to the motor? If the motor is installed in the intermediate when you get the clicking, you could have a broken hammer blow coupler stuck in the shaft hole that's binding the motor. If the motor spins strong with direct power, you might have bad solenoids and/or dirty/poor wiring/connections.

I would try the motor outside the intermediate with a well charged battery to make sure it spins strong (it should try to torque around hard). Also make sure you have a good battery/charge for all your tests - the tilt system likes lots of juice.

had the coupling out and it was fine. tried the motor outside the intermediate but only with the switch. motor is now installed so will try direct power while installed first and see what happens. i think the battery was o/k but will jump it with a charger direct to be sure it gets enough juice. also was wondering if the motor is grounded through the mount or not since no ground wire is on motor itself. forgot to mention when motor was tested not mounted it seemed to work off and on thats why we figured it was a ground issue.(it was propped up with the case resting on the rear of the engine)